Possible Graphics Card Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsko87

Daemon Poster
I haven't posted here for a while, but I am thinking that I might update my current graphics card (7950GT) to something better. I built this computer a few years back and it has run games alright for a while but I think its time for a new one. As I haven't really kept up with video cards since my build I am not really sure what is good at the moment and if any of the new cards are still compatible with my current rig.

I am looking at spending around $200-300 Australian, which is around the same in USD at the moment with the exchange rate. I think I might go dual monitor in the near future, so one with two DVI connection would be great (That may be a standard option now?). If anyone could give me some options of cards that will still run on my system (the one in my signature) it would be much appreciated.

If you need any further info or whatever, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers.

A 5850 in the states is $300, but i doubt it'll be the same down there.

So yea, either a 5770 or a 4890.

Thanks for that guys. So I assume I will have no problems in terms of compatibility with these models? Are ATI the better cards atm?

Yeah the 5850 is around $350 to $400 here so yeah a little bit too expensive, but the 5770 and 4890 are only around the $200-250 mark which sounds good. Is there much difference between these two models?

Also is there a certain brand that I should look for. Asus, Gigabyte, Sapphire and XFX are the ones that are coming up the most.

Thanks again.

both the 4870 and 5770 are close in performance, with the 4870 a little better, but the 5770 is dx11 or next gen card.

for brands I prefer xfx.

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5770 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4870 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

You did say one that would work with you system. :) Your psu should be just fine. Might need a molex to 6pin adapter if your psu does not have 2 pci-e connectors for the 5870. They usually come with the card.

True that. I think my PSU does have a couple of PCI-E connectors so that should be fine.

Is it better to get the next gen card or do you think by the time I'll need it, I would probably want a better DX11 card? I think it might just be better to go for the 4890.
Also, will I get a lot better performance in new games than my DX9 7950GT?

Thanks again for the help, I'll have to give you some rep.

I would go 5770. And yes it will much have better performance than your current card. As drivers improve I would imagine it will match the 4870 and they are real close right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom