Tried Overclocking - BIO will not post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinhas

Baseband Member
Hello guys,

Yesterday my friend tried to overclock my computer, and after a few runs that were going good, my computer stopped working. What started to happen is that the computer would turn on, but nothing on the screen would show. He tried to hard reset it and it did not work. He popped the motherboard battery but nothing helped. Later on he came back with some testing kits, plugged it into the motherboard, and it show code OP, which was not in the book and he had no idea what is wrong. The motherboard's little screen is showing the number 63.

My spces are:
Q9550
4G RAM Gskill
Tpower 145 motherboard
GTX Core 260
Corsair 650W

I have a feeling that something is wrong with the power supply, but I dont know enough about hardware to actually make a valid guess.

I would be greatful for any feedback and help

Thanks

Looking at your hardware specs I would think the mobo died before the power supply.

If your mobo is using a Award Bios then 63 is Initialize Mouse - Detect if mouse is present, initialize mouse, install interrupt vectors

If your cpu overheated a little in the overclocking session and the thermal paste was old it might have contaminated the thermal interface causing it to overheat and lockup after a few seconds (under a minute).

Try removing the heatsink and cleaning it and the top of the cpu with rubbing alcohol and then applying new paste. If you don't have any paste buy some and wait until you have it before proceeding. While your at it clean the heatsink fins and fan with compressed air. After reassembling everything don't forget to plug the fan into the mobo power header. It might work and it might not, here's a link to some cheap but good thermal paste.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Had someone look at it and he said that the motherboard didn't have all the "stoppers" out in and that may have caused s short. Is that possible?

I may have mis heard him. He was talking about the screws that come with the board and according to him also serve as protection against surges, or something similar.

As it was working great before he attempt I am inclined to agree that something happened during the overclocking.

^ I'm only using 8 out of 9 screws and stand-offs... It's ok as long as they aren't in a 'heavy' spot on the board, as I put it.. it could warp the board over time though.

Just look thru your manual and look up the CMOS reset.. It's common to have to do that during overclocking if your board didn't like the settings. You are describing a condition we like to call a "No POST." When you first fire up the rig it goes into a power on system test or Post operation system test. That's when you typically see the board logo or IRQ config/list screen. If it's not doing that you need to reset the CMOS jumper.. Some board do it differently with the battery in or out. Consult your manual to find out how yours is done.

If it doesn't reset, just unplug the power supply, and take the battery out and let the board sit overnight to drain everything.. My Gigabyte board was dead for months before it finally decided to fire up.. -Don't ask, I have NO idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom