ATi drivers crashing in Win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
weird, yea i'll keep an eye out for that.

ok, how do i uninstall the disabled drivers? when i go to the device manager it has the 5700 drivers listed in the display adapters drop down, and i haven't restarted yet...

I'm the opposite, I can get the drivers installed (albeit through the device manager) but I can't get CCC installed :p.

chad, you still there? *chirp chirp*

haven't restarted yet lol, want to follow your directions exactly. :eek:

k lets see if this worked.... i'll let you guys know..

ok, it just crashed so that's about 30 mins...

i have a hunch it's the windows aero background changing thing. i'm disabling it... lets see what happens

Sorry that didn't work. From some searching I did this seems to be a problem with your card that a lot of people are having.

Read this topic. Try what the guy in post #13 says. Seems to have fixed the problem for some. They had the same problem as you, no crashing under load but during 2D stuff it would. With that said, this is something a driver update should fix soon. Good ole ATI drivers. So many people say they have got better but I guess I missed the part where they were worse then what they are now. The only ATI card I ever had that didn't have one problem was my 3850. Other then that, driver problems every single time!

Any way, I think that fix in post #13 will fix you up. Let us know!

well, i haven't crashed since disabling the constant changing background from the preset themes, if i do, i will try what that guy says in that post.

an update and in case anyone else runs into this.

I started crashing again when the background changing was disabled so i did what that guy said in that post.

But i want to add some info. To find the *PROFILENAME.XML (your profile name), you have to have hidden files and folders turned on in your folder options.

I was goin crazy searching around and then realized i never turned on hidden files and folders when i installed windows 7.

Thanks for the help guys.

The whole screen will fill with what looks like small checkered pattern of green and everything will freeze for about 10 second and then my machine recovers from the driver crash and i can do everything as normal again, and there's a little windows pop up bubble that shows up telling me the drivers stopped responding.
Sounds more like bad video memory than driver issues to me.

*edit*
From one of the links posted:
Well i have had the problem since i got my VTX ones.. Then found a guide that shows that on idle the core drops to 157mhz and as the memory stays at 1200mhz it causes it to crash. Mine has been working fine recently and what i did was create a profile in CCC then browse to the *PROFILENAME.XML file and modify the setting from 157000 to 300000 and it has not crashed since..

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of topics here lately on here and other forums about this problem.

It is not just ATI owners. Nvidia owners are having the same problem, me being one of them. It is just a different driver name(nvlddmkm). Personally I do not think it is a driver or card issue, had my card RMA'd. In my case I think it is hardware related. But could be a different problem in your situation.

yea i dunno what's goin on. i tried that fix in that linked thread but it didn't help any... my old 8800GTS never had this problem. only with my ati : /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom