Transfer speeds slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am in the process of backing up my files to dvd's. I'm not sure what the normal speed should be but it usually starts around 2mb's then slowly starts going down, right now it is at a steady 1.77mb's. That seems awfully slow to me. I am using Windows to copy onto a 16x dvd.

What version of Windows? Are you using just Windows to transfer the files? How much space are you backing up on your DVDs? It normally takes me about 30 minutes to use up all the space.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I am using Windows to transfer the files. If I do a few gigs at a time, it will take well over an hour. Sometimes it doesn't even complete the transfer, it will just freeze, not the computer, just the transfer.

I am going to try Nero 8.

You may need to update your chipset drivers. Do you have a lot of Video files that your trying to back-up?
Video files will usually burn at a slower speed than Data files.

I have updated my chipset drivers already. I was not transferring any video files although I do have quite a few video file to back up. Is there a better way to backup video files without having to use so many dvd's? I can only fit 5 or 6 on a dvd using Nero. I probably have 50 or 60 to back up.

I am using Nero now and so far so good, only takes about 5 minutes.

It may not even still apply. But when I got my 1st DVD Burner (a 4X) it would only burn Video at 2.4X or 2.8X (can't remember). I ended up flashing my drive with a modified firmware for Full Speed Video burning. Drives have gotten so fast now that even if Video recording was still limited it would still be faster than what I had, so I haven't checked to see if it still applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom