Gots a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaionk

Solid State Member
Hi, ima new on here and i am wondering if you guys would mind helping me out.

I just put together a comp with windows 98se it has none of its drivers. the one i am mainly looking for is the networking drivers.

Any body have any ideas or ways to help, that would be great! :grin:

It is highly unlikely that there is going to be Win98SE Drivers anymore. Since about mid 2003 or so companies stopped making drivers for Win98SE. As of late 1007 the OS itself is no longer even supported by Microsoft. So if the computer built has a lot of newer components it will be hard and possibly impossible to find drivers for that OS.

I would highly recommend that you upgrade to at least XP if not Win7. Win98SE has not been patched by Microsoft in several years. Meaning that every flaw discovered in that time frame that affects all versions of windows will not be patched in the OS and you are still open to those flaws being exploited.

The best option you have would be to check the mother board manufacturer's site. If your using onboard. If you have a dedicated sound card you will have to check that manufacturer's website. Possibly check the forums as well there as someone may have a way to install the drivers on such a old OS.

^,^ thanks for the help.

The computer is fairly old, nothing realy new about it. was just seeing if there was anything i could do. :D

What computer or motherboard is it? For a lan only computer it would be ok but if you plan on having it online you will get a virus fairly soon. XP or at least win2K would be your best bet but you should be able to track down some drivers.

Mak I was unaware that support stopped in 1007. :)

XD thanks for the help.

its a compaq motherbord, ima not sure what kind it is, but its old lol

run cpuz or give us the model of the compaq.
CPUID

report back mb model if you do not know the compaq model name and number.

Is it onboard lan or a pci card. If it is a pci card you can look at the model name on the card itself.

Again we highly frown upon using win98 online as it is not safe at all.

its an onboard LAN, ima not realy looking to use it online, its more going to be used for Diablo 2 and Emipire Earth. I just need the network drivers so i can LAN with other comps in the house.

once i have the network drivers working i will be able to download all the other drivers it is missing. :lol:

its late for me, ima heading to bead, will be back on tomarrow with all the info on the MB thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom