Games freeze/annoying sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenschX

Baseband Member
Hi, trying to figure out my sons problem.
Both of his games freeze [GTA 4 and WOW]
Once in a while after only 10 minutes, once in a while after an hour or more.

His video card: 4890
processor: Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.40 GHz)
4gb memory

i uninstalled the old driver via driver sweeper, and installed the newest video card driver.
Don't know what else there is.
sound? it's onboard sound.

Thanks

that's what I thought at first too...but temps are ok.
GPU around 58
cpu highest is 47
he's playing WOW right now...and that's his temps while playing.

so if the temps are ok, and drivers are up to date. what else could it be?

ok this video card temps went up to 67. that's a little high huh? so what can I do? the uses the antec mid tower. it has like 4 fans all at high speed. [if it IS a temp problem]

if GPU temps are 67 and higher while playing, what can he do to prevent this? he has 4 fans running at full blast, plus the heat-sink also has a fan. I don't have this problem on my computer and I have a card that supposedly runs much hotter.

Oops, hehe I mistook this for another thread on gpu temps, but still the temps are okay.

I'd do a test with memtest to see if the RAM is gettingt bad.

Another thing to do is ensure that all the air youre blowing in is getting cleanly to the card. Take boo through the wire managment thread and compare yours to simular setups. While the may look pretty, having clean air flow dropped my btemps by over 5C.

Hmm, Another thought, Whats his power supply?

i thought I cleaned up the wires pretty good, but i'll check to make sure.
someone told my son to go into the catalyst and turn DOWN the fans because the power the fan is using makes the card run hotter? Makes no sense to me...
Right now the fan slider is almost centered. Turned it up, but it's very loud.

I'll check the memory too. the memory is about the oldest part of this computer [and the cpu]

what about the fan recommendation I've received? does it make sense? I always thought you need the fan to make the card run cool, so someone telling me the opposite is confusing.
THANKS!!!

If I was you, I would turn the fan speed up a little. It does sound like a heat issue.

Ghetto test : Try running the computer with a side panel off and with a house fan pointed inside. If you can play games without it locking up, then I would look at replacing the fans with higher CFM fans and applying fresh thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom