Dell OmniBook XE3 F2340KT

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I ended up getting this laptop for free, my Uncle got it from a guy at work that was just going to give it away. It's definitely not the best ever, Pentium 3 and designed for Windows 98/2000 :silly:. I ended up installed Ubuntu on it since there was no OS installed, and I didn't want to buy Windows. I've searched but haven't found any info on this model (I did find info on other OmniBook XE3 models here though: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/edwin/laptops/HP/XE3.pdf). I'm trying to figure out if this laptop has wireless or not (noob question I know, I thought all laptops would have it but I'm just checking). I haven't been able to connect to my router and want to rule out if I even have wireless capability on this dinosaur as the culprit.

Yeah, it actually has two of those slots. So the only way I would be able to connect to a network wirelessly would be using one of those cards? At least the prices aren't too bad, looks like you can get a decent one for under $50. Thanks :).

Ok, sorry to bring this thread back but I didn't want to create a new one. I ended up getting this one: Newegg.com - NETGEAR FA511 10/100Mbps PCMCIA Ethernet Adapter - Laptop Networking. I saw under drivers it had Linux, didn't think of (or really pay attention to) the Red Hat part of it... I'm a total noob to Linux (Ubuntu 9.10), is there any virtulization programs that would let me use the Windows drivers in Linux? Or is there a way to use the Red Hat drivers in Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is not based off of RedHat. It is Debian based. Those drivers wont work. Nor is there any way to use Windows drivers. Fedora is RedHat based.

Your best bet is to go to ubuntuforums.com and see if anyone has a working driver or method to get that card working.

Ok, sorry to bring this thread back but I didn't want to create a new one. I ended up getting this one: Newegg.com - NETGEAR FA511 10/100Mbps PCMCIA Ethernet Adapter - Laptop Networking. I saw under drivers it had Linux, didn't think of (or really pay attention to) the Red Hat part of it... I'm a total noob to Linux (Ubuntu 9.10), is there any virtulization programs that would let me use the Windows drivers in Linux? Or is there a way to use the Red Hat drivers in Ubuntu?

Have you actually tried it yet? You might find it works out of the box.

It's plugged in but no leds or anything like that is working, I might try and look at the connection settings (you are meaning without any drivers right?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom