Thermal goop vs allternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_j100

Solid State Member
I am in a some what of a remote location and hardware and equiptment are hard to get. I need too replace my cpu (celeron 2.4ghz northwood02 400mhzfsb), i have an extra cpu (same one) but I cannot get any thermal goop for at least 4-8 weeks (way too long) I do however have a compound call GB OX-GARD-100. I hhave researched extensively on possible alternatives for thermal goop(wheel grease, toothpaste, peanut butter?,ect) all these people seemed high except the wheel grease person (grease is meant to tansfer heat but tends to runnaway from it) the ox gard I have is used for electical connections in industrial applications, the properties of which are very similar to cpu thermal grease (if not better). I belive it should work great for a few weeks but I have yet to find any one else that has tried this. If any one canhelp me find some more info or a second opinion I wuold greatly appreciate this

Thanx EL-J

The only way to know is to try it. Keep your eye on your temps closely. If it starts getting hot then your goop has either dried up or ran off :D

it shouldnt dry out it is meant for high heat applications, the manufacturer specs indicate it has better thermall conductive properties than normal cpu grease but as far as I can tell IM the first to think of trying this

Ive found more info on ox-gard it is the same thing pretty much I cannot afford to lose this comp for any period of time but here goes with the ox-gard wish me luck

from what i have found it pretty much is an industrial version of arctic silver

Ive found more info on ox-gard it is the same thing pretty much I cannot afford to lose this comp for any period of time but here goes with the ox-gard wish me luck

yes the ox gard has worked very well, so well i am still using it.
it has actually droped the temp at full cpu usage slightly.
MacGyver would be proud.

months later ox gard is still working max temp at full workload is still under 45 celcius
the stock idle temp
i have lots of artic silver now
havent needed to use it yet
thank goodness for quick fixes that work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom