Specs:
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Motherboard
Intel P4 3.6Ghz CPU
2GB Ram
700W PSU OCZ
Evga 7800GT GPU
80GB Hard Drive

Something strange is happening.

I was using my PC, everything was just fine. I shutdown, go to sleep, and the next morning when I turned my PC on, nothing booted. The GIGABYTE text showed up at the start and just froze there without loading any further.

I tried restarting a few times and with every restart, I heard a strange noise which occured only once after every boot up. I believe it came from the Hard Drive and sounded like a whirl noise of some sort.

That led me to believe that my HDD was dead.
This PC is fairly old so I decided to purchase a new Motherboard, CPU and larger HardDrive.

New Specs:
ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz E7500 CPU
160GB Hard Drive
-Memory and GPU left the same-

After putting in the new hardware and booting the PC up for the first time, sadly, the same thing. Strange noise from the new Hard Drive now, and nothing at all is showing up on the screen.

The monitor's standby orange light still glows and nothing loads. The Motherboards green LED light does light up, and everything seems to be running fine, however I cannot solve the mystery of why this PC doesn't load.

Please I need some assistance.

Thanks, Yuriy.

If you have a laptop there are some screws under it that house the internal memory of the drive. Once open you will see these little watch battery looking pieces. disconnect them and reinstall your operating system and it should work.

You may want to try a different psu. If the hd isn't getting enough power it will attempt to spin up and make a noise as such. I see you have a 700W in the old specs. Did you reuse it with the new components?

You may want to try a different psu. If the hd isn't getting enough power it will attempt to spin up and make a noise as such. I see you have a 700W in the old specs. Did you reuse it with the new components?

Yes. I also do believe it is the PSU. I will try to disconnect everything and only connect the MB, HD, GPU, and 512MB of Ram and see if that will power it up.

I had an old Rosewill 400watt PSU that I tried to test, it was also not starting up. I replaced that 400watt for this OCZ 700watt PSU a little over a year ago so it may be the problem.

Nope still nothing. The PC fans and everything are running, but nothing is showing up on the monitor. I need to try a new PSU.

^Good suggestion. It's amazing how many problems a simple bios reset can fix.

Check that nothing inside the case is shorting. A loose screw behind the motherboard, a missing riser, etc.

Try removing all your RAM, you should get a beep code. If you don't then I'd say either the PSU or the motherboard are dead.
If you DO get a beep code, then it's possible your RAM is the cause of the failure. Make sure it's in firmly and that there's no dust/dirt on the pins.

ok here is some more news...

tried the MB with a different PSU and GPU, same problem. I bench tested the MB, no sound. Only the green LED which only means its getting power. I just RMA'd it.

Thanks for the help guys, I will post an update in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom