Memory/Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylejb2663

Beta member
Hey:

Ok, the computer has PC2100 memory 266mhz and currently has 128MB. I went to buy new memory to upgrade the computer too 256MB which of course has the same specs... and speed, and I installed the chip and now the computer will not boot up.

I have switched the old memory chip back into the motherboard and it still will not start up. I took the CMOs battery out and also reset using the jumpers. It stilll does not startup.

What I mean by startup is everything turns on, however there is no video picture what so ever and no beeping.

Any help or Ideas??

Thanks,

Kyle

just curiouse... were u upgrading the new ram at the same time u were walking ona rug with sox and combing your hair?

was the computer still pluged into the wall?

did u re-seat the ram to make shur its in all the way down? it does take a bit of pressure to get them all the way in.. dont just push it down, take it all the way out, then put it in again.

I was not on the rug at the time, hardwood floors. I did have the computer plugged in to ground myself.

I made sure it was all the way in and the clips were placed securely. It's really bugging me.

jolancer said:
just curiouse... were u upgrading the new ram at the same time u were walking ona rug with sox and combing your hair?

was the computer still pluged into the wall?

did u re-seat the ram to make shur its in all the way down? it does take a bit of pressure to get them all the way in.. dont just push it down, take it all the way out, then put it in again.

Lol. I have somebody do exactly that. and they were wondering why their computer didn't work

I tried doing that and then I looked up the board specs and it says that you have to have a chip in slot 1 in order for slot 2 too work.

Thnx,

Kyle

Try turning it on without any RAM in it. It should start, then yell at you for not having any thing in it. Then you'll know if you fried both RAM chips or not.

Do you have another computer laying around, try some pieces from this one to another to see if everything is in good working order. I'm kinda lost too.

You might have knocked something loose during install. Check all your devices such as IDE cables on MOBO, video card, HDD etc... and make sure everything is seated properly. Check all power connection to your MOBO. Do you have any beeps during POST?. If none of this work, try a minimum install, i.e. HDD, CPU, RAM, video card, and see if it will startup with this then add up your remaining hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom