P4 Heat Sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicalSauce

Beta member
Where is the heat sync on a pentium 4 processor and what does it look like? A Picture would be great. Trying to apply a thermal adhesive... can't find the heat sync and I'm pretty sure that's where I need to apply the thermal adhesive... any help is appreciated! :D

P4%20heatsink%20and%20fan.jpg

thats should be it

the heatsink for the cpu is always on top of the cpu as shown in the picture above... with most newer computers (were talkin about starting 3 years ago) the heatsinks have fans attached onto them that blow air onto the cpu to help cool it.. i suggest that you take caution when you apply the thermal adhesive.. if you put on to much you could get it onto the mobo or the cpu and short them out... a small amount (about the size of a pea) in the centre of ur preocessor should do the job.. then just attach your heatsink and fan back onto the cpu and it should squish the adhesive onto the cpu pretty evenly :)... or you could take a really thin card or a razor and spread it and smooth it out urself but i suggest that if ur new at this you go with my first suggsestion.. good luck! :)

Ok first off. There's a difference between thermal ADHESIVE and thermal grease.....thermal adhesive is more permanent. You want a good thermal grease or thermal compound like AS5. That stuff will short out pins if it gets everywhere because of it's high silver content. If you're unsure of what a heatsink is when it's a pretty basic part of a computer, are you sure you want to go removing one and reseating it on your processor? Real easy to chip the die, but I suppose you gotta learn sometime

Heat Sync?

do you mean heatsink?

Did you just buy the parts or are you altering a computer?

if you just bought it and are putting it together:

That should be the large metal thing with "fenders" and a little fan that came with your processor.

P4 heatsinks come with a thermal compound already on the bottom, but if you would like to use your own compound you should scrape it off the bottom of the heatsink first.

If you are altering a computer

Unless you have a massive heat problem I don't recommend that you remove the fan. The best thing to do is create more airflow in the case. This can be done by buying case fans or simply by making holes in your case.

yes he meant heatsink, but the point is you got what he meant. The 'fenders' are fins and when he says scrape it off the bottom, he should tell you to do so gently, using something like a credit card edge and some 99% isopropynol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to get off that little rubbery thermal pad on the bottom of the stock heatsink. If you're buying a new heatsink you won't have to worry about a thermal pad being there.

There is no need to use adhesive compound on a CPU. You should spread the compound at all times.

If you do't know what or where a heatsink is then do you really think you should be taking it off to apply a thermal compound?

Let me guess... You were at a comp store and a sales rep went up to you. You told him your problem with your comp and he gave you this thermal adhesive. Now your stuck buying it and you don't know what it does?

Sync, that's great. Well, I wasn't born knowing about computers, and like this person, I am on this forum obviously to learn a bit more. :) So let's try not to be hard on him.

I would find a comp shop that's NOT a big chain and spend the small cash (my builder would prolly do it for 10-15 bucks at most) for someone else to change your stock heatsink pad or grease over to thermal grease (not adhesive). I would reccomend using arctic 5 of course. If I had as little knowledge that you do (and I used to) I would not personally open the PC without someone that knew a little bit more about them at hand.

That's just my opinion, I worked hard for my money to purchase all my computers and it would not be worth it if I messed one of them up not knowing what I was doing.

Stick around the forums, you will learn a lot, I did.

Peace,
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom