Faulty hardware / driver diagnosing program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I have a Gateway FX P-7805u laptop here and is still fortunately covered by warranty. Unfortunately, I think anyone experienced in Gateways knows their tech support is somewhat lacking in expertise and follow-through. I've spoke to Gateways tech support and long story short got a ticket number and approval to send it in and have it fixed.

Due to the erratic nature of this problem, I figure if I have some documentation on a possible diagnoses of the problem ready for the techs when my laptop gets there, they can better pinpoint and fix my issue (reducing the possibility of them sending it back unrepaired, and my money shipping this laptop first class with insurance is not wasted).

The problem is after an hour or so of intense gaming, give or take 30 minutes, the video completely freezes and I get the distinct audio buzzing noise suggesting a video hardware issue. Mouse doesn't respond, keyboard, caps lock light, etc... completely froze. Now with my 10 year technical experience diagnosing and fixing PC's, that's a pretty much dead giveaway that it's video related. I've done absolutely everything including a complete OS reinstall, up to installing Windows 7 (Currently Vista).

My question is, anyone know of a well known program that can get some sort of error report out there, so I can save it to my desktop and they can view it? I can just picture them running some 3rd party 3rd rate program for 10 minutes on my laptop, see nothing wrong with their test results, and just sending it back. I'd like "some" proof of what happens. Any other suggestions welcome! Thanks everyone!

What games are you playing? What is the model of your gfx card?

I'm pretty sure It's an overheating of your GPU.

Sounds like overheating to me too. Check the temp of the gpu after running games for 10 or 20 minutes, should stress it enough to let us know if its getting warm enough to be a problem. If that is the case then report back and we can go on from there. If it isn't check your drivers, if its a simple driver problem you could save yourself a lot of money from P&P not to mention time!
I'm not sure there is some type of program that can do what you're asking.

Also just to be safe i'd run a spyware/malware check, i've seen this problem occur in some pc's and people go off and buy $200 video cards only to find that the problem was some kind of malware that was causing stress on the computer and when combined with the stress of gaming, that was freezing it.

Sounds like overheating to me too. Check the temp of the gpu after running games for 10 or 20 minutes, should stress it enough to let us know if its getting warm enough to be a problem. If that is the case then report back and we can go on from there. If it isn't check your drivers, if its a simple driver problem you could save yourself a lot of money from P&P not to mention time!
I'm not sure there is some type of program that can do what you're asking.

Also just to be safe i'd run a spyware/malware check, i've seen this problem occur in some pc's and people go off and buy $200 video cards only to find that the problem was some kind of malware that was causing stress on the computer and when combined with the stress of gaming, that was freezing it.

Thanks for your responses, but like I said I have tried everything up to including reinstalling a different operating system. I've tried different versions of Nvidias graphics drivers, ones provided both by Gateway and Nvidia. I've also monitored the GPU temps and it is not going over 90. Besides, if it was overheating the GPU should slow down core temps before it locks up my laptop. The problem is very distinct. It's completely freezing my system, suggesting hardware failure. I just need to convince Gateway tech support of that, so I can get some new hardware. Again, thanks for your responses. I've heard Geoforms was a good stressing program, I'm going to give it a shot tonight.By the way, my graphics card is a Geforce 9800M GTS.

If you mean its getting up to 90C...that's getting really hot for a GPU and could be the overheating problem.

Thanks for your responses, but like I said I have tried everything up to including reinstalling a different operating system. I've tried different versions of Nvidias graphics drivers, ones provided both by Gateway and Nvidia. I've also monitored the GPU temps and it is not going over 90. Besides, if it was overheating the GPU should slow down core temps before it locks up my laptop. The problem is very distinct. It's completely freezing my system, suggesting hardware failure. I just need to convince Gateway tech support of that, so I can get some new hardware. Again, thanks for your responses. I've heard Geoforms was a good stressing program, I'm going to give it a shot tonight.

Repeating the same thing over and over and NOT listening to what is suggested is going to get this thread closed without help and fast. Carnage made no reference to OS in use or Drivers. He made a specific reference to temps. You did not answer or attempt to even clarify anything about the temps.

If i see the same paragraph copied again, i will close this thread without hesistation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom