ATi drivers crashing in Win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtis

In Runtime
Howdy guys,

So i recently got a XFX 5770 for xmas. It has been working flawlessly during gaming. I've been getting driver crashes while surfing the web, though. Maybe i've just been lucky so far and it hasn't happened while gaming? i don't know. I'm running Windows 7 64, btw.

The whole screen will fill with what looks like small checkered pattern of green and everything will freeze for about 10 second and then my machine recovers from the driver crash and i can do everything as normal again, and there's a little windows pop up bubble that shows up telling me the drivers stopped responding.

So far i've tried uninstalling the ATi drivers and catalyst and then running driver cleaner and cleaned out both the ATi stuff and the Nvidia stuff from my previous card. Rebooted and tried reinstalling just the ATi driver, w/o catalyst control center, and it worked well for a little while and then crashed again.

Any suggestions? Should i just hit up XFX or ATi tech support? RMA my card? (though i think it's a driver issue)

thanks in advance, i'm goin to bed right now :eek:

*edit* oh, i also made sure my BIOS is all updated.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ATi Drivers. This has been reported since the start of the Beta. Everyone has some sort of issue with ATi drivers. Be it the drivers themselves or the CCC. There is no real solution as the only real solution is for ATi to release good drivers. Which hasnt happened yet.

Maybe check the ATi site or forums to see what others have done to try and work around the issues they were having.

ggrrrrrr, alright i guess i'll hit their forums.

i thought iw as saving money by buying ATi, but really you're saving grief when you buy Nvidia.

Well there are a bunch of topics at the Win7 Forums for Microsoft you can check as well.

In total there are over 600 topics about Ati Drivers. So that shows you the amount of people that have similar issues with them. Some people report no issues at all, others have no luck at all. Sadly i cant offer much input as i have a nVidia card. But i do know that their drivers have been troublesome.

Few questions. What kind of setup do you have? Do you have dual monitors? When you deleted old drivers and restarted, Windows7 should have automatically installed default drivers on boot up, right? If so what did you do about that? Did you just delete them and try to install the new drivers? Did you disable them?

I'm a ATI guy myself and I've had so many problems with drivers and I always seem to get it fixed one way or another.

I don't have dual monitors. I'm running a q6600 on a Biostar Tpower i45, 8 gigs of ddr2 ram, win 7 64 pro (almost your same setup :p). Windows may have prompted me but i would have just ignored it and installed the drivers myself, but i did go through the window update driver thing in the device manager and it just said i had the up to date drivers, so windows does know i have the up to date drivers.

Drivers crashed while typing this out. I started a thread on the AMD game forums last night and have got no response.

Yeah but from what I have experienced in the past there is no way to actually stop windows from installing default drivers. When it boots up it will install them even if you have updates, etc, all turned off.

One of the things I would try is going ahead and deleting your drivers and CCC if you have it install with the Add/Removes programs function. After that you will reboot. It will install default drivers. After that happens go into the device manager and just disable that driver for now. Go ahead and reinstall the drivers you want with CCC. Make sure they actually install the drivers! I've had many cases where it said the drivers were installed and they were not. I noticed the install went much faster then usual when the drivers didn't actually install. Once you know they have installed go ahead and uninstall the disabled driver and restart.

See how things go from there.

i'm in the middle of trying this right now, but when i rebooted after uninstalling everything ati, it never prompted me to install drivers or anything like that. i went to the display adapter in the device manager and it's just listed as a standard VGA card, i disabled the drivers on it as you said though, and am going to now install the ati CCC drivers. waiting for them to download...

good luck. don't forget to make sure it installs the drivers. It's very odd, but happened to me more then a few times. It would say it successfully installed the drivers and CCC but all it would install is CCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom