upgrading 4 year old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

new.puree

In Runtime
specs are below...
I'm going to use it to play some games on 1920:1080... COD MW2, l4d2, WoW
My budget would be 200$ at max. I'm just hoping to salvage as many parts as I can.
The mobo supports 184 pin ddr400 ram at best. This type of old ram is selling for a steep price, given the old technology and I do not think a ram upgrade would be the best cost:performance ratio.

What I was thinking is to upgrade the graphics card to a 9600 gso for around 50-70$ or maybe I might have a better option for this price?
I was also thinking of switching the case because the current is about 9 years old and used to overheat my 6800gs, because there wasnt much air flow and there were not any side fans.
If I were to upgrade my mobo,ram,processor, it would bring me over my budget most likely.

So pretty much I am looking for a cheap option around 200-250$ for a mobo,case,gfx card, ram, processor
or an option of a case and video card around 100$
or maybe a case,video card, processor/or ram for <200$

That's too small of a budget to get all those items..
And if im not mistaken that board only supports AGP cards, and the best agp card is a 4670.

So its not looking good..
My suggestion is to wait and save at least 600.

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/1G - Desktop Memory
$34 + shipping

Your motherboard has both AGP and PCI-E x16.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$70 + shipping

That would help you out for now. The only way you could get a better CPU would be to luck into one or hit up eBay.

A new system would be your next step, whether you upgrade now or not, though.

IMO you should spend on things that you can carry over to a future build - case, possibly PSU (what do you have now) and graphics card. If you buy this stuff now you will be able to put them onto a new motherboard, CPU and RAM further down the road.
Not saying the other way round won't work but in your situation you should change out the parts that are giving you the most problems.

I just want to make a note that I already have a newly made desktop. I just plan on using this for about 6 months because I won't be able to take my new pc with me. But I am thinking that I may take the gfx card from my other pc which is a hd 4890 and spend the 200 on a mobo,psu,cpu,case and ram. I am currently trying to find a cheap option within my budget for those 5 parts... whether it be used from ebay or new from newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom