SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
So I have been somewhat out of the loop for a little while and one of my raptors is starting to give me trouble so im thinking of getting an ssd. Are they a viable choice yet? I looked on newegg and they still looked pretty expensive per gb.

I made the plunge a couple months ago and will never go back. As long as you have another large drive for storage and can leave just the OS and apps on the SSD then you are set.

If you can get an Intel, do. They are faster than Indilinx drives, but are a little more expensive.

EDIT: you also want Win7 to get the most out of an SSD. It isn't required, but with TRIM you will have a longer lasting, higher performing drive.

I've got win7 and a 1tb drive for storage so thats not a problem. I'll look into the inel drives.

Great. You won't be disappointed. They are expensive, but the increase in time you save it totally worth it IMO.

It might be worth *suffering* with a normal drive for a month or so more, prices on SSDs should start falling a lot soon.

The only problem is I think I might need to replace my drive this week. I don't want to have to buy a regular drive now and then in a month see the SSD prices drop because I won't have enough spare cash to buy one after I buy a normal drive now. It's either buy an SSD now or a regular drive now.

^dude, a 160Gb normal drive will only set you back around 50 bucks.

edit: heck, after searching for literally 10 seconds I found one going for 38 bucks. And that's AU dollars.

Why are SSD prices going to drop substantially soon? I have heard people saying that they're waiting for prices to drop for months now. Has something happened that is pushing the prices down? When is this drop expected or are you just referring to the steady decline in price?

But yes, assuming SSD's are poised to make a significant price drop but you need an OS drive immediately, then your best bet would be to get a cheap drive to hold you over. Depending on how steep the price drop is (and due to how cheap small HDD's are now) you could end up saving money.

example: (I haven't looked at prices, so numbers are all hypothetical)
current SSD price: $200

current cheap HDD: $35
SSD price in 2 months?: $150

If that is the basic scenario you would end up saving $15, you would get the awe-inspiring performance of a SSD and you would have a backup OS drive, or one for another build or sell it for $10 :)

example: (I haven't looked at prices, so numbers are all hypothetical)
current SSD price: $200

current cheap HDD: $35
SSD price in 2 months?: $150

This is what i was thinking, your losing alot of the money youd save on a cheaper ssd by getting a temporary drive, when your not even sure if the ssd's price will fall and how much.
I'd say get a ssd now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom