Some computer build questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Trick

Baseband Member
Im buying a computer and I don't know what graphics card would be good for it.
Its going to be used for playing games like WoW and Modern Warfare 2 and watching Blu-Ray movies on it. I want to play the games on Max settings but I dont know what card would be good enough for it. The ati 5970 is too overpriced and Im sure that I wouldt use it to its full potential so I know that I dont need that. I dont really want to get a Nvidia so just stick to ati, but if there is a big difference quality and price wise then I can make an exception. Im looking at choosing from ATI Radeon HD 5750 , ATI Radeon HD 5770 , ATI Radeon HD 5850, ATI Radeon HD 5850, and ATI Radeon HD 5870, also please tell me what resolution would be good for the graphics card so then I know what to look for when Im going to buy a monitor. Also Im sure that 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3 1600 corsair dominator would be enough for me, but it never hurts to make sure. And for the Mother board Im going with a ASUS P6T -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI. For the power Im going with a 850 Watt -- Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w Power Supply SLI Ready. Processor is a i7 920, if it needs to be overclocked then I will overclock it. And Im picking windows 7 64bit.

I think a 5770 or 5850 should be great for you. Nice resolutions to look at would be 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 on like a 24" monitor. I don't know much about RAM though, I think there are other choices out there that are better priced, hopefully someone else can come along and make a comment. Also, whatever card you get (besides 5970 and even then..) you won't need an 850w PSU. Anything up to the 5870 you should be good with a 600+ watt, depending on your choice of brand of course.

Decide at what resolution you want to play your games at.....anything under 1920x1080 you can play alot easier and with less video card power than at 1920x1080 or above....at those resolutions a pretty powerful card is needed.

I would say get the 5850 if you plan on playing at 1920x1080

Yeah, I agree with everything thats been posted. 800 Watts is a waste.

If I were in your position I'd go with a Radeon 5850 for sure.

Ok, I decided to go with the 5850 and a 650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply SLI Ready. I don't really know anything about motherboards and the choices are

ASUS P6T SE -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB

ASUS P6T -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI,

ASUS P6TD Deluxe -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, triple-channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Three PCI-E MB,

ASUS P6X58D Premium -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/ 7.1 Sound, GbLan, S-ATA III, USB 3.0, PCI-E MB,

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb Lan, S-ATA 3.0 RAID, USB 3.0, 4 PCI-E 2.0 MB

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb Lan, S-ATA 3.0 RAID, USB 3.0, 4 PCI-E MB USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 RAID

MSI X58 PRO-E -- Intel X58 CrossFire and SLI Support Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, Triple-Channel DDR3, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB.

Which one would be good enough for me?

Due to recent experiences, I'd suggest staying away from the Asus P6T series mobos. Some of them seem to have an issue with triple channel ram sets, not recognising all the sticks installed.

the Gigabyte UD5 is a great mobo, and fairly future proof. It'll easily last you a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom