SLI/Cross Fire, Compatibility, and Future Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
Hey guys, just a few quick questions. I was just curious to know the difference between SLI and Crossfire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that these were two different connection types for running multiple video cards. I know that my Nvidia (EVGA GTX 260 SC) is SLI, and it seems this is always the case. Does that mean Nvidia is what uses SLI, and ATI uses Crossfire?

If this is true, when you add a video card, and want to bridge them (in my case add another card to my GTX 260) do you have to get a second card of the same one you already have? Or could I add a second video card later on that was a little bit higher quality and still do an SLI set up?

Surprisingly my card is running Crysis at all "high" settings, with 4-5 options set at "very high", and its having no issues at all. Occasionally the cut scenes get a little line in the middle of the screen that slowly moves downwards, but this depends on the image and the colors sometimes. It can go away as quickly as it appears.

Anyway, I'd like to eliminate these little imperfections and eventually be able to run the games like Crysis with everything set to "Very High". Would adding a second card and doing an SLI setup be the way to go? or Should I look into and educate myself about overclocking? Not looking to make any immediate moves, as I JUST got this computer built and ready to go last week (first build), but I would like to improve its performance down the road for sure. I may end up using it for some home theater stuff as well.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:
Completely forgot another question I had. I am also confused about the PCI-E expansion slots on my motherboard. I have my current video card in the x16 slot, because a friend told me that's where it's supposed to go. I'm kinda clueless about what that means though. I can't remember what other numbers I have for sure (its an EVGA x58 LE), but I know I only have ONE x16 slot. Would this affect my previous questions at all? What do those numbers represent?

crossfire = ati
sli = nvidia

in your case, youd be lookin to get another 260 to sli with your current one.

it doesnt have to be the exact same model as the one you already have. it can be from a different brand, it can be a pre-OCed version, it just has to be a gtx 260. also, if you sli an OCed card with a stock card, they will both run at the speeds of the slower card, but you could OC the stock card.

you also have to check if your power supply is powerful enough to run dual cards.

what psu do you have? (make/model?)

Ah, cool. Thanks. I know GTX 260's aren't the best thing ever, but I'm not trying to benchmark or anything. Would an SLI set up with two of these be enough to run games like Crysis with all the video options set to "very high"? And play the cut scenes without those little imperfections?

Also can the Superclocked edition still be overclocked? Is there any need?

Two GTX 260's in SLI would be a very good set-up for gaming ....Yes you should be able to run Crysis on Very High Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom