Windows ME Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leila

Solid State Member
I have a CPU that was neglected for a bit before being given to me. It boots and starts Windows ME (after I press F1 on bootup screen that says system is unworkable or has changed) but when it goes to detect hardware settings, it stays at 0% and doesn't respond further. Is there any hope? I would like to clean the hard drive and reinstall the OS. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Slammin''' Yer Killin' me!!! :)

I would just throw a boot disk in it and fdisk, format , reinstall,,

if you cant boot it properly with a boot disk ( to the a:\ prompt) then you may have hardware issues,,

but nothing lost is nothing gained,, give it a shot,,

blow it away!

cheers,.

... and on top of what CrashAbbott and SS has told ya, if at all possible, get rid of ME, it is the worst OS out there.

"Virgin Techie" is the perfect way to describe me!:) I can't quite figure out how to get to a DOS prompt, because it stops at the "Press F1" message and goes into ME after it's been pressed. I'll be back with specs, Devlish...

If anyone has any ideas on how to get me to a DOS prompt, please let me know...until then, I'm on a hunt for a boot disk download.

http://www.bootdisk.com

get the win 98 boot disk,, that should do the trick,,

download it,, on a PC that works,, and extract it to a Floppy A disc,,

take the disc and put it into the Old Me Machine,, turn on the power,, the pc will boot,, and if all is good , it should read from A drive first (fingers crossed)

once the disc is read it will ask how you wish to start, pick WITH CD SUPPORT,,,

and after loading a couple of other drivers and small utilities, it will come to a DOS prompt A:\

cheers,

All right...got it to boot up to the Win 98 Boot Disk, and I formatted the hard drive. How do I install the OS now? I would like to see if it will hold XP, as that is the only OS software I have to install on it...I tried running setup from D: but it says that it can't be run from DOS.
Should I FDISK or repartition before I do the OS installation? You guys have been the greatest...:)

Leila said:
All right...got it to boot up to the Win 98 Boot Disk, and I formatted the hard drive. How do I install the OS now? I would like to see if it will hold XP, as that is the only OS software I have to install on it...I tried running setup from D: but it says that it can't be run from DOS.

this is why i asked for specs. i wanted to see whether your pc will be able to handle xp. anyway,...if you're planning to install xp,...i suggest you get a bootable XP cd..and boot from it...it'll do all the formatting and installing. it'll also let you choose your partitions..you can also repartition your hd...etc. it's simple...and ideal for beginners. :)

All right...thanks for all of your help, guys...it wouldn't hold XP (it has a 300 mHz Pentium and not enough RAM) so I installed 98 SE on a clean hard drive. Thanks for walking me through it!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom