Eyefinity set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering an Eyefinity setup with an Asus 5870 and either three 24" or three 23" monitors. I am looking at these monitors:

3x 23" - Newegg.com - ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 w/Speakers & HDMI - LCD Monitors

or 3x 24" - Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

The reason to go with three 23" would be to save $120. Also, with that money saved it wouldn't put such a dent in my funds when I have to buy the needed displayport adapter, which brings me to my next issue:

Sapphire has launched their adapter but I can only find it for sale here at Ebuyer. I have found others like the HP or another one called Accell UltraAV.

1. What do you guys think about saving the $120 by going 23"?
2. I don't game in a lit room, will Glossy frames still be an annoyance?
3. Has anyone heard of or used any of these displayport adapters? Any advice there?

I don't want to fork up the $440+ for the nicer monitors with native displayport, so I figured going this route would be the best.

I will be ordering everything as soon as I figure it out, and I think when I am in Miami next month visiting my grandparents I will have it all shipped to their place and then I will bring it back on the plane.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!!

I would get the 23" and save the $120....with 3 monitors, you wont miss the 3 inches.

I had a glossy 22" Samsung and I liked the glossy monitor myself as glare was not even an issue for me....they are alittle harder to clean as they show smudges more than a matte display.

That would be a great set up

I bought 3 of these Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors
and this.
Newegg.com - ERGOTRON 33-296-195 LX Triple Display Lift Stand - Monitor Accessories

Using this adapter.
DELL DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter for Select Dell Latitude Laptops/ OptiPlex Desktops/ Precision Mobile WorkStations/ Precision WorkStations / Alienware Laptops : Desktop Accessories | Dell

It MUST be a powered adapter, because the card has to see it as a displayport output for eyefinity to work.

Reasoning behind the monitors is that when used in portrait they come out to just over 16/10 and have the smallest bezel of anything i have been able to find on the market.

^ Smallest bezel is what I am after also, but I have no idea how to find out that info. I might just copy your monitor purchase then. Also, that Dell displayport is perfect and much less expensive than both the Sapphire and HP. Thanks veedub!

I would get the 23" and save the $120....with 3 monitors, you wont miss the 3 inches.

I had a glossy 22" Samsung and I liked the glossy monitor myself as glare was not even an issue for me....they are alittle harder to clean as they show smudges more than a matte display.

That would be a great set up

You're right, I will stick with 23". That savings buys the displayport adapter and then some.

^ Smallest bezel is what I am after also, but I have no idea how to find out that info. I might just copy your monitor purchase then. Also, that Dell displayport is perfect and much less expensive than both the Sapphire and HP. Thanks veedub!

You're right, I will stick with 23". That savings buys the displayport adapter and then some.

Well i looked at the monitor beforehand at microcenter. The bezel is about 3/4" wide all the way around. One of the things i needed was a small bezel on all 4 sides due to using them in portrait. Most of the other monitors have a giant bezel on the bottom.

True. I'm not sure If I will use them more often in Portrait or Wide. I was originally looking at wide, but if it benefits both ways then that is a plus if I switch it around. One thing though, I noticed there is no HDMI input (and the bigger reso). Would this affect HD playback/quality? Forgive me because I know next to nothing about monitors/HD/etc.

I seriously hate you guys... lol

@james... when you do end up getting a 5870... I will gladly take your 4890 off your hands, for the price of shipping :)

^ HAH. Nah but seriously I will just sell it locally and get about $190 for it. They are $260 brand new here and even second hand electronics run at a high price. Lucky for me I bought mine off newegg last time I went to the states for $250 when they first came out. $60 for 8 months of use is fine for me. That's the beauty of buying in the states and reselling here when done, I don't lose as much.

+1 to the Syncmaster 2343. Amazing monitors, love mine so much :p Only got one though, jealous of all you guys with multiples. Haven't watched any HD movies on it, but some xbox games that only support 1920x1080 just have a small black border around them, hardly noticeable. Though I'd say the extra pixels are worth it, cause its awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom