Second monitor display shifted left

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSteelBlade

Beta member
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum, I think it's more of a software issue but it could be hardware related. I'm running a Windows 7 with an nVidia 880GT using DVI for the main monitor and VGA for the second.

The issue is the display on my second monitor (to the right of my main, if that matters) has shifted itself a few cm to the left. So there is currently a "dead zone" on the right side of the monitor that I can't use (can't move mouse into the dead zone, only as far as the desktop edge, like normal, except the edge of the desktop isn't at the edge of the monitor).

I have tried using the monitor controls to move the display, but it doesn't move. I know it's working though because the monitor menu will move and will move into the dead zone, so that section of the screen IS still working. I also used the nVidia Control Panel to try shifting the desktop over, the desktop moved but wouldn't appear in the dead zone (The black area on the right remained the same size but the desktop image moved, one column of pixels disappearing each time I moved it to the right.

Addition: This is causing anything on both monitors to have a section missing in between the two and anything that's full screened on the second monitor is missing the left side

I'm not sure what else I can try, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm, I have an a Laptop that got drop and screen damaged that does this.

Is it an LCD?

What happens if you switch screens, i.e. make the main screen the right screen?
When you move the mouse into the dead zone, does it stop on the border or dissapear?

I think your screen has died, or atleast that edge of it.

Hmmm, I have an a Laptop that got drop and screen damaged that does this.

Is it an LCD?

What happens if you switch screens, i.e. make the main screen the right screen?
When you move the mouse into the dead zone, does it stop on the border or dissapear?

I think your screen has died, or atleast that edge of it.

That's what I thought at first too, but it doesn't make sense that it shifted everything, you'd thing if it's dead the desktop would still be there, just invisible, so to speak, in that strip. Also that's the monitor that handles the BIOS on boot up which displays perfectly centered and across the entire screen. And when 2 is set to primary it's still the same issue. It is an LCD and it hadn't been dropped (I just woke up one morning and it was like that)

As for resolution, I've checked it and tried every res in the system.

Okay, so on boot, its fine... Do you have a live cd like memtest, or a linux disk? Ubuntu will work easiest.

You could boot to that, and it'll definately tell you if its hardware or the software.

I didnt think it was dropped, its electronics... they do weird things to make you buy new stuff.

My secondary monitor did the same thing, for me it was the resolution. I thought I had tried all settings but I never hit apply, once I lowered the res and applied it, the monitor worked fine.

Where did you get the drivers from? From the CD or the Nvidia site? The problem is software related, I'm one hundred percent sure. Try downloading the latest drivers from the Nvidia site. What version of Windows are you running, what build?

Sometimes the latest drivers are not the best option. If the newest drivers do not work, try the one before the most current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom