Suitable PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriM'

Baseband Member
Hi all. I've checked your very own PSU guide on these forums and just want to double check.

I'm looking to get a 4850 GPU & a new PSU for £150.

Is a Corsair 550W PSU suitable for the following rig:
Phenom x4 9650 @ 2.3GHz
1 640GB HDD
4GB DDR2
Windows 7
AMD 780V motherboard

Corsair's calculator says a 450W would be suitable, whats your opinion on this?

Both the 450 & 550W VX's have one, PCI-E 6 pin connector and the 550VX has one PCI-E 6+2 pin. Do I need the PSU to have 2 PCI-E connectors?

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4850 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4800 Series - System Requirements

Ste is correct that the 450 will do you just fine especially when it is from a quality brand like corsiar. I always prefer a little headroom for future upgrades so I would go with the 550.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
I would like the extra pci-e connector as well along with the ability to run crossfire in the future.

Oh ok, but you should still buy one with two, for future upgrades.

Ok thanks. One question, if a PSU has one or many 6+2 pin connectors and a GPU you have only requires a 6 pin connector, do you just leave the extra 2 pins dangling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom