Explorer goes bezerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nord

Beta member
Since a week or so, my PC behaves quiet strange: in the task manager the CPU goes to 100% every 5 seconds (see screenshot). When I look at the proccesses, it is Explorer that shows this behaviour. The 100% CPU coincides with refreshing the icons on my desktop.
(Soory, need help with posting screenshot.)

uninstall and reinstall explorer, if that doesn't help let me know, it may take a full format and fresh install....

microsoftne said:
uninstall and reinstall explorer, if that doesn't help let me know, it may take a full format and fresh install....

Thanks for replying, please give a hint on how to un/reinstall explorer. This seems a rather vital element of the OS, so I don't want to screw up.

Nord

there are two methods here is the first

Repair or Reinstall Internet Explorer6 and Outlook Express 6
According to Microsoft, if you are having trouble with either Internet Explorer 6 or Outlook Express 6 because of damaged files or missing registration information (XP registration trouble, not your name and address) you will need to either reinstall or repair the affected installation. I'm going to go over two ways that Microsoft suggests for dealing with IE6 and OE6 problems. Read over the entire article before making a decision about which method to use. At the end of Method II I've mentioned what I'd consider the best solution to this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method I
One likely cause of IE6 and OE6 not functioning properly is a corrupted file. Microsoft says this is the "most" likely cause, but I think that's wishful thinking. To run a check on the files and see if one or more is corrupted use the System File Checker that is included with Windows XP.

Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD ROM. If you don't have it available there is no point in continuing unless you have the files available on your hard drive and have changed the location of the XP installation files in the registry. If you do have the files copied to the hard drive, the default install location may be modified using the registry edit shown below.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value) // Value Name:
Setting for Value Data: [Set using the path to the installation files, i.e. G:\WXPCCP_EN]
Exit Registry and Reboot

Running System File Checker is not a fast process. The machine I use for the majority of my everyday work is only a P-III 866 with 784MB RAM and a 20GB/5400 RPM C drive and it took between 7-8 minutes running off the hard drive. Expect much longer times if you run from the CD. Once the System File Checker has finished, reboot and test to see if the problem has been resolved. If the problem still exists you have three choices.

In-place upgrade of Windows XP

Repair Windows XP

Reinstall Windows XP

Since I'm 100% against upgrade installations of XP I won't recommend that option. A repair of Windows XP may solve the problem, but the fact the problem arose in the first place makes me suspect of the current installations overall integrity. I suggest a complete reinstall of XP after backing up all data files. However, before you select any of the above choices, look at Method II below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

method 2

Method II
The second method to try and correct the problem involves editing the registry and reinstalling Internet Explorer 6. The standard cautions apply whenever you are editing the registry. If you need help on how to backup the registry, click here.

If you are having problems only with Internet Explorer 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry

If you are having problems only with Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA848-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry

If you are having problems with both Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

Change the values in both of the registry keys as outlined above.
Exit Registry

hope this helps

microsoftne said:
there are two methods here is the first

Repair or Reinstall Internet Explorer6 and Outlook Express 6

Thanks for your lengthy answer, but what causes the problem is
explorer.exe, NOT iexplorer.exe. It could be that I am mistaken,
but these are two different programs, right?
In the taskmanager, I can 'kill' iexplorer, but if I do this on
'explorer' my desktop becomes quite empty, which is understandeable when killing one's shell.

So, does the procedure you desribed roughly apply to Explorer
as well?

by chance you havent attempted a Hack on your START button by chance have you??

Explore.exe points back to the Start button area,,,

Nyet?

CrashAbbott said:
by chance you havent attempted a Hack on your START button by chance have you??

Explore.exe points back to the Start button area,,,

Nyet?

How would I do that? Could this be happened accidentely?

Nord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom