Please Help! Cannot repair boot sector virus through traditional methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhawker23

Beta member
I'll start off by confirming that I have spent hours researching and trying several of the recommended methods of repairing the MBR. I have not found anything that works in my situation.

I would really appreciate any help with this!

Here's the rundown...

Lenovo T61 - Windows XP Pro

Downloaded a display driver, when I rebooted the Windows startup screen runs for approx. 3 seconds and goes to the blue screen stating unmountable_boot_volume and restarts.

Here's what I've tried...

1) Booted from win98 boot disc. Tried using chkdsk /r. Received a message to use scandisk.

2) After booting from win98, cannot change directories from boot disc to the hard drive.

3) Booted from WinXP boot disc. I attempt to use the recovery console. I press r and receive the message - Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

4) Boot from PC Doctor 2.0 disc. Selected Hardware Info... Physical Disk Drives... (info reported)

Disk 0: Size 80 GB
Partition 1
Bootable: YES
Tyoe: 6 DOS Large File System
Start: 32 Sectors from beginning of disk
Start: Track: 0 Head: 1 Sector: 1
End: Track: 66 Head: 63 Sector: 32
Size: 136015 Sectors (69MB)

Partition 2: Empty
Partition 3: Empty
Partition 4: Empty

5) Still within PC Doctor 2.0 - Running Diagnostics... (results follow)

Controller: PASSED
Linear Verify: FAILED
Random Verify: PASSED
Read Surface Scan: FAILED

The error log reads...

025-025-000-20100101-33-IDE Interface: Failed (Read verify error (Corrupted-Data) occured at sector 49152.)

025-199-000-20100101-35-IDE Interface: Failed (DMA read error (Corrupted-Data) occurred at sector 56769.)

So, I can only see and run tests on the hard drive by booting through PC Doctor. However, this utility does not offer the functionality of repairing the MBR or repairing bad sectors.

PLEASE HELP! I sincerely appreciate any ideas or suggestions!!
Thank you!
Brad

If we look at just the basic problem, windows recovery tool doesn't recognize hard drive, is there some help?

use Spinrite 6.0.

now if that don't help you, you hdd is FUBAR or toast, which is what I thing anyway since scandisc didn't help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom