Can I do this with my laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himie

Solid State Member
Well last year I bought a new Laptop but it came with onboard graphics, just recently my brother's motherboard failed and HP refused to repair so it's just laying around gathering dust. His laptop has a nVidia GeForce card and it's sad watching gather dust and me not be able to play real games.

So I wanted to ask if I can take out his graphics card and put it on mine it would really help me, both laptops are out of warranty.

My specs are:
Acer Extensa 5630z
Intel Pentium Dual 2.0ghz CPU
Intel GL40 chipset
3gb RAM
Onboard Mobile Intel 4 Series Express graphics with 1.2gb shared RAM
Using Windows 7 and XP in different partitions

I don't remember most of my bros laptop specs since its been dead for a while =/

Thanks for any advice.

^^

Im pretty sure that even if the laptops card wasn't integrated with everything else you still wouldn't be able to pop it in the PC.

If thats what you were asking?

If both are onboard graphics cards (which 95% of laptops are) then you will not be able to accomplish this.
I'm pretty sure his is not onboard
^^

Im pretty sure that even if the laptops card wasn't integrated with everything else you still wouldn't be able to pop it in the PC.

If thats what you were asking?

I already tried but it's not very good with good games for example Team Fortress 2 lags a lot with lowest settings possible at 640x480 unless theres nothing on screen and I'm facing a wall I get full fps that's why I want to get his graphics card into my laptop

It doesn't matter, even laptop video cards are still a different connection type than what desktops have slots for.

I highly doubt its AGP/PCI/PCIE.

Itd be easier and more productive to just buy a video card for the PC.

It doesn't matter, even laptop video cards are still a different connection type than what desktops have slots for.

I highly doubt its AGP/PCI/PCIE.

Itd be easier and more productive to just buy a video card for the PC.

We don't have a desktop they are both laptops

Ste both are laptops eh.

The Acer Extensa probably has no pci-e slot for a dedicated card anyway, so even if the nvidia is a dedicated you couldn't.

Next issue would be power, the acer wouldn't have enough. Then theres cooling...

Saddly laptops are horrible for upgrading.

ohh, sorry I thought you were asking a more newb question.

If the other laptop has an open slot that is the same as the other video card, then you could.

But its unlikely too.

Well I dismantled my bros laptop and I need to know if this is the GPU and what slot is it and how to take it out I tried not being so forceful but it's stuck I need some advice here.

Sorry for the low quality.
ImageShack -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom