Need help with first computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kliney

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm building my first computer. I'm wanting to do some moderate gaming on it, but I want the graphics to be pretty good. I want to build a relatively powerful computer for around 800 bucks. This is the parts list I have so far. I would like some opinions as to whether everything will work together and how well it will perform. I mainly play WoW. but i'm looking into getting into other games. Anyways heres what I have so far. Sorry for all the extra junk in the titles, I copied them into notepad right from newegg.

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail 79.99
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor - Retail 185.00
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail 94.99
Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail 74.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 69.99
HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail 162.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail 129.99

for $8 less and possible 45$ back in rebates, i would get these.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

total $790 + shipping.

ive included the x4 955 instead of the x4 965, but you could just OC it by 200mhz on the stock cooler and it will be the same.

ive also included a mobo which supports crossfire to give you the option of possibly running dual gfx cards later on. also a faster gfx card and faster ram.

the psu you picked was overkill. even if you wanted to run dual gfx cards, the 750w is enough. the hdd and case are the same ones you had listed.

edit: also, idk if you already have an optical drive or if you forgot about it(since you didnt list one), but if you need one it will add around $30 more to the total.

Thanks for the reply, yea, i knew the PSU was too much, but being new I just wanted to make sure there was enough. I did a calc on the asus website and it said i would need at least 650w. I also thought about the fact that i might want to run dual gfx cards. But i second guessed and figured one would be enough. but now that i have this info, and its actually cheaper. This setup sounds great. Thanks again for the reply.

So if I do end up running another gfx card will i need any special software. I truly am new at this. But put it this way, my old computer is a HP 533w, which is like 6 years old. lol.

if you go with teh 4890 i listed, you basically have to go into ati's catalyst control center (which you get when you download the cards drivers) and tick a little box enabling crossfire.

example
enable_crossfire1.png

Cool, thanks again bro. Yea i'm definately going with what you had listed down, already altered my list to what you had. I'm hoping this build goes good being my first. I've been reading tutorials and youtubing like crazy. lol. I've worked with electronics for awhile but this is a new endeavor. Thanks again for all your help.

happy to help :)

its not as complicated or hard as you might think. for the most part, most of the parts or connections only go in one way and the parts will come with instructions.

still, if youre not sure about something just post back.

I saw on the motherboard there are 2 different color ram slots. I'm gonna start with 4gb, which one will those go in? And also i'm putting windows 7 ultimate full on it. How much ram will windows 7 recognize?

with 4gigs (2 sticks of ram), you put them in either the 2 blue slots or the 2 black slots.

make sure you get the 64-bit version of windows because 32-bit has a ram limit of around 3.5 gigs.

btw, did you end up getting the parts i listed? because the 2 combos i linked before are no longer available, just incase you need help with the parts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom