Building a new PC - STRICT BUDGET

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt5313201

Solid State Member
I'm building a new computer for a friend's family who is on a limited budget of about $115 and I'm wondering if you guys had any suggestions. To lay it out, I already have a most of the parts needed. I have the Hard Drive(s) (3 80GB IDE ones), (8) 256MB DDR RAM sticks, a decent PCI *something* graphics card (for dual screen), a 500 watt Power Supply, and a DVD burner/Drive (probably could use better RAM Though). I also have a 10-Bay ATX Case (The same as the one pictured HERE) and an old Dell Dimension 2400 Case as well (this one pictured HERE). If at all possible, I would rather not have to buy a new case, unless it's pretty cheap (and within the budget). Thanks!

Your DDR RAM will be useless as it is no longer used.

I will see what I can scrape together for that budget. $115 is next to nothing with computer parts.

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor Model SDX140HBGQBOX - Retail
&
BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ 6.X AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$76 + shipping on mobo

Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K - Desktop Memory
$40 + shipping

Total = $116

That's only a single core Sempron, but it has two gigs of RAM. The GeForce 6150 is fine for casual gaming and web surfing. You will have to use the power supply in the Dell case so just use the whole case; it will be a 20-pin PSU, but will work fine with your mobo even though it is a 24-pin board.

Lol. I can believe it. I didn't think the RAM would be worth much, but I thought I would mention it anyways. Quick question though. How am I able to tell if a motherboard is fully compatible with a case (i.e. the little blinking lights on the front that we all love :)

EDIT:

The PC doesn't need to be too heavy duty, as long as it's capable of browsing the internet and word processing, just to clarify.

If you have a dell dimension 2400, the case will only be able to handle microatx boards.
It will not take regular sized atx motherboards, last you will need to have a power supply of 400 watts.
Your current power supple which is 250 watts will not the power those items, no lie!
I realized that when inserting my foxconn mobo into her dell 2400, would not power on due to it being under powered.

If you have a dell dimension 2400, the case will only be able to handle microatx boards.
I have an ATX case too (mentioned on first post).
Your current power supple which is 250 watts will not the power those items, no lie!
I realized that when inserting my foxconn mobo into her dell 2400, would not power on due to it being under powered.
Sorry, keep forgetting to add things :-/. I have a 500 watt power supply too.

If you have a PSU then use the other cse. I didn't know you had one or I would have said so earlier.

Actually, Mike, 200W would run that fine. The Sempron is a 45W CPU, and the 6150 is really light on the power. The Dimension 2400 originally came with a P4 and they sucked down the juice and pumped out heat, and the Sempron would use a lot less that the P4.

I looked your post again that dell demision only has for 4 pci slots on the back.
Most ATX mobo have 5 or 6 slots, microatx has a maximum of 4.
But the first picture you have of that custom case should do you just fine.

Alright, I'm not exactly sure what you guys are saying :-D. Should I use the ATX case with the stuff Trotter mentioned, or use the dimension with the PSU and (fill in the blank). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom