(another) i7 920 build - ehh - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifestoned

Beta member
Hey guys,

<skip this part if you don't care for background info>

I'm new. I'm from Israel (yeah, i know :silly:), and i'm buying a new computer soon.
I've been using my Barton 2500+/GF4MX400 for the last 6 years or so, and it served me well,
but i figure it's about time i'll upgrade, right ?

Considering the fact that i'll probably stick with this build for the next 6 years or so, i'm going high end. Consider the fact I'm from the middle east, and Taxing + Disturbution costs nearly double the Month-old technologies that get here, my high end ain't probably your high end.

Also, i can't buy from newegg (it's pretty popular around this forums, eh).

</skip>

The current build will cost me about 1750$ (or 1500$ without the screen), and that's around the area i'd like to stay - money wise. So if you suggest i'll upgrade something, please suggest what i should downgrade instead too...

The computer will mostly be used for games and audio recording/editing.. maybe some video editing down the road. Overclocking is something i'll probably get into later on, when i'll need it (circa 2012~, if i'm lucky, or 2010, if i'm not :crazy:)

So far these are the specs i think i'll go for :

CPU : i7 920

Mobo : ASUS ‏P6T Deluxe V2

Memory : ‏3x2GB G.Skill NQ Edition Triple Channel

GPU : Sapphire ‏HD 5770 New Edition 1GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E

Hard Drive : WD Caviar Green 1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache

DVD-RW : ‏DVD±RW GH22LS50 x22 Black LightScribe Sata Retail‎

Case : ‏ ThermalTake V9 Mid Tower Black Gaming Case VJ40001W2Z (No PSU)

PSU : Chieftec ‏750W Modular 14cm fan, Active PFC, (24pin)

Screen : LG W2261VP 21.5'' LCD 2ms 1:50000 DVI HDMI WideScreen Black (Already Bought)

Keyboard/Mouse : ‏Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 (Retail)

And now, for my conflicts/considerations :

Mobo - should i invest extra money in getting the ‏Asus' P6X58D ?
I seriously considered it for the USB 3.0 and Sata 6gb, figuring i'm gonna need the new technologies when my computer's rendered and antique 6 years from now.. but I can instead buy a USB 3.0 pci card when it comes out, and untill they utilize Sata II's efficeny without crazy SSD drives, i shouldn't care for the sata 6gb.
And what about Gigabyte / EVGA ? do they have better/less costly/more reliable equivalent offers ?

GPU - i know it's a tad weak, but i figured it'll do for the next 6 months or so, and if it'll really bother me i'll buy another one and SLI it, or just upgrade it.. but for a time, i considered going for the i5 720 and buying a 5870 with the extra cash downgrading cpu/mobo/memory.. is that a better choice ? will the 5770 utilize my cpu/triple channel memory ?

Hard Drive - should i instead of the Caviar Green 64MB go for the Caviar Black 32MB ? i heared they are faster and more reliable...

Case - How important is it really ? should i invest 50$ and buy a better one ?

Customized cooling - Should i ?!

That's it. I'm also planning on buying a crazy *** sound card in the next couple of months, so i don't care about crappy mobo sound quality.

Thanks in advance,
Yair

Build looks good.

I would stick with the i7 and 5770, and like you said, if you're not too impressed with the performance, you can add another later for crossfire. I believe two 5770s are better than one 5850. For pure gaming the 5870 with the i5 would be a lot better actually, but i see that your main concern is that it lasts for a few years, so getting the i7 is better in that respect.

The power supply you chose...Chieftec , ( made by Channel Well) isn't listed in our power supply guide : http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221778/
Therefore it may be fine , but I can't recommend it. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

The Asus p6T is great. If you can afford it , you might want to splurge on the ‏Asus P6X58D which has USB 3.0 , is DDR3 2000 capable , and it's just next generation technology. Yes , EVGA and Gigabyte are both great manufacturers of motherboards , and compete directly with Asus with comparable features.

I like the idea of going with the Caviar Black over the Green because of speed. Maybe get a couple 640 gb blacks in raid.

The 5770 should be fine and you can always get another and crossfire them. If you can afford it , get a 5870.

If you are overclocking the CPU (highly recommended with the i7 920) , aftermarket cooling is an absolute must! What do you want to spend on the heatsink/fan?

Crappy mobo sound? Motherboards these days have awesome onboard sound. Unless you are a real music freak , it should be more than adequate.

Ive seen some reviews for that power supply that have had it pass all the tests.

but it only has one year warranty.

Id rather have the corsair 750TX for less and a 5 year warranty.

first of all, thanks for all the advice.. i really appriciate it. i'm tearing apart between builds, trying to get the best one that will last the most for my money.

following a couple of rather flamey posts strongly suggesting i go for the i5+5850/5870, and upgrade my PSU & case, i composed these builds :

CPU : Intel Core i5-750 Tray
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
Memory : G.Skill DDR3 4096MB (2048MBx2) 1600Mhz CL 7-7-7-24 Ripjaws
HD : Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 3.5" 1000GB SATA2 32MB
GPU :Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 1024MB DDR5 PCIe
DVD Burner : LG GSA-GH22L X22 SATA DVD
Case : CoolerMaster HAF 922
PSU : Antec TruePower 750W
Keyboard / Mouse : Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000
Screen : LG W2261VP 21.5'' LCD 2ms 1:50000 DVI HDMI WideScreen Black (Already Bought)

vs.

CPU : i7 920
Mobo : ASUS ‏P6T Deluxe V2 / P6X58D
Memory : ‏3x2GB G.Skill NQ Edition Triple Channel
Hard Drive : WD Caviar Black 1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s
GPU : Sapphire ‏HD 5770 New Edition 1GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E
DVD-RW : ‏DVD±RW GH22LS50 x22 Black LightScribe Sata Retail‎
Case : ‏ ThermalTake V9 Mid Tower Black Gaming Case VJ40001W2Z (No PSU)
PSU : Chieftec ‏750W Modular 14cm fan, Active PFC, (24pin)
Keyboard/Mouse : ‏Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 (Retail)

Notice that for downgrading my CPU/Ram/Mobo i get a better PSU/Case/GPU..
Anyways, i'm getting kinda clashing advices, and i'm not sure which build will serve me better in the long run. Also, GA-p55a-udX have all got usb3 and sata6. They both cost (roughly) the same for me.

Thanks again, you rock :p

I like the i7 920 build except for the power supply. I just haven't heard enough about Chieftec to trust it.

Obviously the i5 build will outperform the i7 build in gaming right now just because of the GPU, but you are limited as far as upgrades in the future. The case for the i7 build(ThermalTake V9 Mid Tower Black Gaming Case VJ40001W2Z) is not the greatest and got some poor reviews. Are you sure you can't find a better one at a comparable price? Here (just an example) you can get an Antec 900 : Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases for just a few bucks more than the Thermaltake: Newegg.com - Thermaltake V9 VJ40001W2Z Black 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Are you going to overclock? Have you looked into heatsink/fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom