Questions about SDRAM upgrading:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabyfakid

Baseband Member
I have a dinosaur for PC, and I can't afford a new one. I know that upgrading the RAM is the way to go in order to have a big performance boost relatively cheap. But I have a few questions for you guys could help me out with:

1. Would you recommend generic RAM? - I ask this because crucial and kingston RAM is really expensive for me, and I heard that there's good quality generic RAM.

2. If you do recommend this type of RAM, what are the best companies and websites where I can go get them?

3. If you don't recommend generic types, what are some of the brand name RAM companies that sell the most cheap?

PC specs.:

Compaq Presario
64 MB PC100 SDRAM
20 GB HD
700 MHz AMD Duron Proc.
8 MB RIVA TNT2 NVIDIA Graphics Card

Checked the Geil website, they sell DDR, and as I mentioned in the first post, I'm looking for cheap SDRAM.

First of all, thanks for the quick reply, apreciate it. My comp can support a max of 768 MBs. I checked pricewatch, and there's an even cheaper offer for a 512 stick, 34 bucks; from a vendor with an excellent review record.

hehe, nice website huh? no problem for the fast respond, thats what im here for.
and yes u will see a major performace increase, but ur cpu might bottleneck it. u might look into a new cpu, and mother board, u can get some good cheap ones now. like the old amd xp series, or even old p4s

Yeah, the thing is that I'm a complete newbie to upgrading, I know how to install RAM, it's easy and I have a reference book; but a mobo upgrade is pretty much out of my league at this point. Next project after RAM upgrade will hopefully be to add an additional HD, cause I'm dual-booting Windows and Fedora Linux. Anyway, another noob q if you dont mind, will a pc133 ram stick work on a pc100 motherboard??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom