"Plugged in, not charging"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubbleet

Daemon Poster
I just installed Win7 Home Premium 32-bit on my dad's laptop. It previously had Vista on it, and the battery would say "50%, plugged in, not charging" so I thought maybe it would be fixed when I installed Win7. I also updated the BIOS, and still not fixed. I tried to drain the battery to 0% and then try to fully charge it. That didn't work. I've taken the battery out etc. I'm wondering why it's like this. Any suggestions? Here's the specs:

Toshiba Satellite A205-S6812
CPU: Intel Mobile C2D T5450 @ 1.66GHz
RAM: 2x1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 1.8V (5-5-5-15)
GPU: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family Rev. 3
Mobo: Model Santa Rosa CRB (all that I could find out on it)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8614/toshiba.png

I'm having that same problem except i lost my power adapter and had to get a new one and the new one doesn't charge my laptop. i haven't been able to get it to charge ever since.

I'm not much with laptops, but I thought charging or running thru the power cord was an automatic function, separate from Windows. If it does have something to do with Windows then I would look at Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options and try a different plan.

How old is this battery / laptop?

Laptop batteries have an average life span of about 2 years (usually less). One of the symptoms of a battery dying is not holding 100% of its charge or not lasting as long as it used to.

If this is an older laptop I believe you have a dead or dying battery and you need to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom