Toshiba P25 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
Anybody know how difficult it is to upgrade this laptop? Several websites state it will run much better by a memory upgrade (purchased with 512 MB memory)- is that true? How difficult is it to do the upgrade- DIY or not? Can you upgrade anything else easy - want to just do home pics, email, etc. - no gaming or heavy video stuff. The sites that are selling the memory upgrades suggest a 1gb stick - the specs say I can fit 2gb total -- so should I get two 1gb memory sticks. Any name brand memory will do ?? or suggest a specific buy would be great. This is a fairly old notebook- but it is still working great - so hate to trash it. Still has XP in it- upgrade to Win7 or not? Sorry for all the questions in one thread.

How much ram do you have in it now? What operating system? what kind of ram and speed?

changing the ram is easy. If you have two slots, either they are both on the bottom, or there is one on the bottom, one under the keyboard. I put 2gb in my Dell, it wasn't that hard to do. IMO, any ram will do in laptops, get the cheapest one.

If you are just doing as you said above, you dont really need to update much more than the ram.

1) original 512 RAM is the current RAM - I would guess it is 2 X 256 mb sticks as the P25 has 2 memory slots. Dont know the brand name or speed of the RAM - how do you find out without taking the laptop apart?
2) Os = XP service pack two.

OK - finally got a chance to download the Cpu-z and here are my specks: Intel Pentium 4 at 3.0 Ghz codename = Northwood, socket= 478mPGA : MOBO= Toshiba BTQ100 ; Bios= V2.00 dated 6/29/04 ; Graphics = AGP version 3.0 using a Nvidia FX Go5200 ; Memory type= DDR 512 MB with a 512 single channel Hyundai at 166 Mhz. It says I have nothing in the slot#2. So should I buy two 1 gb DDR memory sticks ( one for each channel)? Can I update the video card also since it says it is a AGP card and not built in?

so - Yes- any RAM for any laptop 1 GB stick X 2. Anybody else know anything about upgrading the Video card? Thanks MindoverMaster.

Any computer enthusiast knows that switching the GFX card out is near impossible, without creating some heat issues or even breaking parts in general. Ram swapping is quite easy, GFX card is really for the skilled users. Even I wouldn't try to do something like that.

OK - so stuck with the Go5200 video - that is OK - certainly not gaming or anything that is Video demanding. So, here I go - purchasing 2 sticks of 1 Gb RAM- for laptops. Nothing specific regarding speed or anything else I need to worry about on the RAM - sorry for all the questions. I am pretty much a NOOB regarding actual parts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom