Is all RAM equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam P

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade the RAM in my laptop to 4gb (max). I have been looking at different brands and what not, but I am a bit confused. I see it priced any where from $78 to $310 for 4gb ddr2 sodimm 667 mhz (2gb x 2). Is there a differrence between the cheaper and the more expensive memory? :crazy: Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The main differences are CAS speeds and name brand quality. Good brands to look out for would be G.Skill, Kingston, Corsair. A-Data isn't bad either if it's much cheaper.

I would go with the above, plus OCZ. I have used them alot, never had a problem. Had to refurb a few, but that happens even with the most expensive RAM.

Go with the middle one. Basically, I get the ones with heat spreaders, they are nice to keep the ram cool.

The a-data was the cheapest of all the the brands you listed. It was $78 at nwegg and it had good reviews. I am wanting to upgrade to windows 7, and i know it says I only need 2gb, but I would rather have the extra just in case.

Do keep in mind if you have a 32bit OS you will be limited to 3.5gb - the amount of video ram on your system.

You can install 4gb you just will not be able to use it all.

Do keep in mind if you have a 32bit OS you will be limited to 3.5gb - the amount of video ram on your system.

You can install 4gb you just will not be able to use it all.

I wondered about that. Currently I am running Windows Vista Home Basic at 32 bits even though I have a 64 bit processor. So I will go ahead and upgrade the memory and then install my new OS. Thanks for all the help.

well, a 64-bit processor can run 32-bit operating systems fine.

I know. I want to upgrade to the 64 bit Windows 7 OS. This is my main reason for upgrading the memory to 4gb. Currently my laptop just meets the minimum system requirements and I would rather upgrade things and get this above the minimums so that hopefully things will run smoothly with the new OS.

Using cheap, odd brand named ram can lead to compatibility problems. It might work in one PC and it might not in another. With that said, I have used A-Data in a lot of different pc's quite successfully. I wouldn't buy it for a Gamer but it works great for a basic workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom