Double defective power supplies?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMW

Baseband Member
I just put together a comp and I can't get it to power on. Nothing, no fans, no hd, nothing. I double checked the connections and swapped the psu for another one I had laying around. Still nothing. The case fans draw power directly from the psu so I assume its not motherboard related. However, I have a hard time believing I have TWO defective power supplies. Are there any other possibilities on what could be causing the problem? I really appreciate any help.

Here are the two power supplies I tried.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Heres my mobo too, for what it's worth

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Thanks

ps
I checked the power outlets too

The case fans draw power directly from the psu so I assume its not motherboard related.

The psu gets told to turn on from the mobo, so if the mobo doesnt work, the psu wont be turned on and the fans will never get power.

To test your powersupply, unplug it from all your computer components.
Switch the back of the power supply off, you may also unplug it from the wall at this point.
Take a paper clip, and put it in the pin with the green wire, and the other end into any pin with a black wire. See ATX power supply connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru
Now plug back in the power supply, and switch the back of the power supply on. The fan of the psu should start to spin.
This will tell you if the psu is completely dead or not.
Be sure to turn off the powersupply before removing the paper clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom