New Project: Briefcase PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerulean

In Runtime
Hey all!

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been here. Upgrades to the site look fantastic! Alright, so back to the topic at hand. i'm in the midst of constructing a fairly low-budget PC built entirely inside an alluminum briefcase. I know this has been done before, but a lot of questions come to mind before getting my hands dirty. I'd also like to point out that I do have experience building desktop PCs from scratch and dismantling/reassembling laptops as well.

The point of all this? This machine is to be used as nothing more than a prop for a small, local, independent film. I did attempt to build a fake one and mask the LCD activity via Premiere, but it looked far too fake, so I'd like to give the real deal a whirl.

First question. Would it make more sense to build this via desktop parts or laptop parts? If the former, what is the best way to mount the motherboard and other parts so they aren't loose around the base of the case? (rhyme not intended)

What would be the most effective way to mount the LCD screen? I was going to say Velcro at first. Yes, laugh it up :p

Also, if using a desktop, what would be the most efficiant way to cool the machine?

Thank you for any suggestions you have to offer!

How long will the computer be on for in the movie, or whatever else you plan to use it for? Heat would be an issue if you used desktop parts I think. You might be better off dismantling a laptop to use. Wait and see what other people's opinions are on it before you start building ;).

How long will the computer be on for in the movie, or whatever else you plan to use it for? Heat would be an issue if you used desktop parts I think. You might be better off dismantling a laptop to use. Wait and see what other people's opinions are on it before you start building ;).

Thanks for the response :)

It will be in the scene for a very brief period. Not long at all. It's meant to simulate a remote missile activation device, so it's on-screen time is pretty much limited to code entry.

The easiest way (and most effective) would be to just take any ordinary laptop and pack it into the briefcase. You don't necessarily need to dismantle the laptop though. Heck, you could even get a netbook for like $200. Drill holes behind the screen for all of the external peripherals.

This is soundin' real cool. I think I might do something like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom