Who uses OC Programs and Who uses the BIOS??

Do you use the BIOS or a program??

• BIOS OC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Program OC

• What's OC??

• What the heck is BIOS??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BIOS for 24/7 settings and testing potential 24/7 settings... Program for SuperPi suicide runs

What do you use your computer for? The world isn't going to end just because you aren't LinX stable. For a 24/7 stable OC, I do not use a program like LinX or Prime, unless what my computer does 24/7 involves heavy CPU usage. I do not think "Stable" should be defined as passing LinX or Prime, rather being able to run your selected settings without crashing or locking up for what you use your computer for.

Just my opinion...

interesting read (for me at least)
Define stable when overclocking - XtremeSystems Forums
So I could get a better score for the LinX bench thread :D.

I use both methods. OC programs are good to test your settings with before going into the bios to make adjustments.

Have you lapped it yet?

lol, i don't want to mess it up, so i don't think im going to. I'm not listening to people for ocing anymore lol, i do better on my own by far, i thought i needed help with all the new voltages for the i7's but i was wrong. I just got a stable 3.8ghz with no higher then 80c...i think i can get that temp lower too, still have not finished tweaking yet. IM going to find the bare minimum voltages and then up the speed in small increments until i cant boot anymore. I'm hoping for 4.0ghz with max load temps no higher then 82c.

I would be more worried about lapping the CPU than the heatsink. Unless you aren't using a truly flat surface or are impatient you can't really mess up too bad (watching videos at least, never actually done it myself :p). What happened before that you won't take advice for oc'ing anymore?

lol, i don't want to mess it up, so i don't think im going to. I'm not listening to people for ocing anymore lol, i do better on my own by far, i thought i needed help with all the new voltages for the i7's but i was wrong. I just got a stable 3.8ghz with no higher then 80c...i think i can get that temp lower too, still have not finished tweaking yet. IM going to find the bare minimum voltages and then up the speed in small increments until i cant boot anymore. I'm hoping for 4.0ghz with max load temps no higher then 82c.

Personally, I think 80c is waaaaaay too high. I may not have experience with i7, but that's way too high for ANY processor in my opinion.

If it is 80C on linX then not too bad as you will never stress a machine that much but still a bit on the high side. My quess is a vcore around 1.3ish. A good lapping should net you 3 - 5C. Unfortunately every TRUE needs to be lapped to reach its full potential. If you are not going to lap you may as well save the cash and get a Sunbeam.

4.0ghz with a max of 81c...and yes that is with linx. By what i have read 80c is where you dont want to get higher....i would like it to be under 80c...i may still get it under it, my cpu vcore is at 1.24375 right now lol, and im stable after 10mins of linx. I think i can lower some other stuff to get the temp under 80c, we shall see, but right now im perfectly happy with this oc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom