40GB of hard drive space disappears after Windows 7 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

awangoo

Beta member
Hi,

I own an Acer 5920G Notebook and recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. I had 20GB of free space before the upgrade, however after upgrading, this was reduced to only 4GB. I thought fair enough, the new OS has taken up the space but then realised that 40GB of music had also disappeared.

This music was stored in a file path (C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents), which I replicated from Windows XP on my old desktop so that I didn't have to start a new iTunes library on Vista. On searching, I found a hidden folder called 'Documents and Settings' in C: but it had a lock symbol and access was denied.

I tried deleting this, but it made no difference. I have a backup of all the music, but could someone please help me to find where all the hard drive space has gone, since applications like 'WinDirStat' tell me that only 71GB of the 111GB is actually being used?

Thanks, Ankul

Under your C drive in the root there will be a folder named "Windows.old", delete it. it will promt you several times that you are deleating system files. Just say ok to all of them, they are old.

If it doesn't let you then right click it go to properties->security->edit->users->check full control.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom