Games freeze then cannot shutdown computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always had this problem on my new PC.
- Windows 7 x64
- SLi twin nVidia 9800 GTX cards
- any game
- every driver available since the card came out does the same thing.
Since it was a new build, there couldn't be any spyware, viruses, etc., but running Microsoft Security Essentials.
The problem is caused by my 2nd nVidia 9800GTX SLi card having the GPU fan in power-save mode, and when it kicks on, the computer freezes. Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del, the Windows key, Esc, do nothing. I have to hit reset.
Hitting reset allows the 2nd video card fan to remain on, and I can play indefinitely in SLi mode with no problems.
Turning off SLi stops the problem completely.
Does your freezing coincide with the sound of a fan kicking on?
There's probably a videoBIOS setting that can fix this, but have had more important things to do so far.

Now when I play games the screen goes black and the computer restarts so now the freezing is done.

Here are my temperatures at idle:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 69
I have always had this problem on my new PC.
- Windows 7 x64
- SLi twin nVidia 9800 GTX cards
- any game
- every driver available since the card came out does the same thing.
Since it was a new build, there couldn't be any spyware, viruses, etc., but running Microsoft Security Essentials.
The problem is caused by my 2nd nVidia 9800GTX SLi card having the GPU fan in power-save mode, and when it kicks on, the computer freezes. Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del, the Windows key, Esc, do nothing. I have to hit reset.
Hitting reset allows the 2nd video card fan to remain on, and I can play indefinitely in SLi mode with no problems.
Turning off SLi stops the problem completely.
Does your freezing coincide with the sound of a fan kicking on?
There's probably a videoBIOS setting that can fix this, but have had more important things to do so far.

Now when I play games the screen goes black and the computer restarts so now the freezing is done.

Here are my temperatures at idle:

Is this possibly a processor problem?

I would try replacing other hardware first. As there is no way to test bad cpu/mobo. (Without replacing them)

Try other RAM and different power supply if not already done.

My computer stopped freezing when I turned down the settings, but when I had the settings maxed on mw2 I got around 20-25 fps so it isnt that bad when I played it. I dont know what to do I used to play just fine. Is it the gpu, I can replace it because my 2 year warranty has not expired yet.

I was able to fix the problem! I just needed to run program as administrator! I have only tested this on mw2 ill test it on fsx.

I have one last weird problem I booted up my computer today and I had bgl files all over my desktop, I have deleted some of them but here is a picture of it:
All of them are locations one of them is named LasOvas.bgl, could these files be from flight simulator x?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 50
Those .bgl files are scenery files for your flight simulator, take them and put them in their needed destinations, I'd check my resgistrys too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom