Will Intel Core 2 Duo work on older motherboards with the same socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryora

Baseband Member
5188-1680 | Hp Limestone-Gl8e Lga775 800fsb Mboard

This is the motherboard. Socket LGA 775.

The processor my friend wants to upgrade to is the Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, also Socket LGA 775.

Problem is, the link above says that it only supports Pentium D and Pentium 4 and that the FSB for the motherboard is 800MHz while the Core 2 Duo has a 1066MHz FSB.

I think it doesn't matter because it's the same socket, and Core 2's were released in 2007, so they might still be made to run in older motherboards, even though it's not listed on the motherboard's supported CPUs.

Then again the motherboard put a cap on the frequency of the CPU's, which might mean Core 2 Duo's won't be compatible for the same reason a Pentium D with a frequency that exceeds the cap won't.

Anyone every tried installing an Intel Core 2 Duo in an old motherboard like this? I know it's 2009, and this might be old stuff, but my friend's on a money crunch, so yeah.

Thanks in advance.

If its not listed, then it won't be compatible. Some older motherboards will have bios updates to allow them to support the newer cpus, but it will list the cpu as being compatible. In your case since its not mentioned on the mobo website then it will not be compatible.

I'm sorry that might not be possible read this:

If you need a LGA 775 socket motherboard with a good core2duo cpu for it newegg.com has great selection for em, now would be good to look at some before the end of january when newegg starts removing some of the lga 775 , motherboards from this year.

Also read this it will explain why that mobo will not take the core2duo E7500
will my board support Core 2 Duo - Asus - Motherboards-Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom