Sloooow computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebolaosu

Baseband Member
A couple weeks ago my computer suddenly started running very very slow. Some examples: 15 mins to boot up, 30 secs to open IE, 10-15 seconds to open a folder. The processor is an AMD 1900 running at 1.6 gighz. The computer is now always slow, not just sometimes. During the delays the processor nor hard drive are working. The computer just sits there, sometimes with an hour glass, and waits. Then, right before opening whatever I have selected, the hard drive and processor will work and the item will open. One oddity is that if I, say, open an MP3, it takes 20-30 seconds to open Winamp and start playing, but if I close Winamp and immedaitely open a different MP3, there is no delay, it is nearly instant, like it used to be. Doesn't matter if it is Word, IE or an MP3. If I have just opened it, 9 times out of 10 it will open the second time with no delay.
I figured it was a software thing, so I repaired Windows XP. No improvement.
I reinstalled Windows. No improvement.
I reformatted and reinstalled. No change.
I formatted a different Hard Disk and installed windows. No change.
The actual formatting took forever, somewhere around 60 hours. It was running slowly even in the installation shell.
I ran memtest86 for 6 hours and had 0 errors. I think it was running slowly too, it only got through 12 or 13 tests in 6 hours.
I don't know what else to try, I had made zero hardware changes prior to the slow down.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause a computer to suddenly slow down like this?

Would a processor account for the delay the first time, but not delaying the second time something is opened?

I tried two different hard drives. I don't think that both went bad at the same time. They both ran extremely slow. And I ran memtest with zero errors. I can test the memory again though.

Could this be a motherboard thing?

Well you know its not the ram if everything works twice in a row. Try using that processor on a different machine (if available). How bout the CPU fan, did it die, have you checked it latley. AMD's run hot, but your HS could be just enough to keep it alive.
What are you specs, we can help you better if you tell us what you have.

I tested the memory by removing one stick, booting, then switching them and booting again. Both sticks were just as slow.

I did think about the HS. I looked at it and the fan appears to be moving normally. that was about the only way I could think to test it.

Here are my system specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1900
Running XP professional, SP-1
HD: Seagate 20Gig 7200rpm
CdRW: Plextor
Graphics card: LEADTEK Geforce TI 4400
Case: Antec sx-840 server case
PSU: 400 Watt
RAM: 512 DDR (2 sticks of 256) PC2100
Mobo - DFI NFII ULTRA INFINITY with Nvidia nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T chipset.

Thanks

I did come across a similar problem with a friends pc, the problem ended up being a defective pci card (sound I think). I'd suggest trying to boot with just the bare minimum installed ie hard drive, processor, 1 stick of memory. If you have on-board graphics, enable this so you can rule out the graphics card too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom