Processor Suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nechen

Baseband Member
I'm just window shopping here but I found a good Gigabyte motherboard that was AMD Athlon 64. Now the two AMD Athlon 64 processors I found are as listed:

(AMD ATHLON 64 3500+) for 341$
Specification
Model: AMD Athlon 64
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L2/512K
Voltage: 1.5V
Socket: Socket 939
Packaging: Retail

(AMD ATHLON 64 FX-53) for 650$
Model# ADAFX53BOX
Item # N82E16819103438
Specifications:
Model: AMD Athlon 64 FX-53
Core: SledgeHammer
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 1MB
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 940
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: Retail(Heatsink and Fan included)

Now obviously the FX-53 one is a better buy, but by how much? The only difference I see is an extra 200 MhZ in Operating Frequency and 512KBs more of L2 Cache. So should I just pay half the price for a little bit less? I'm on a REALLY tight budget and I need something to last me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't buy a Gigabyte (K8) if you plan on using low lantency memory.

ag3 said:
Don't buy a Gigabyte (K8) if you plan on using low lantency memory.

hey pardon my ignorance but whats that mean? lol I'm still studying on my A+ cert

get the second. a little goes along way. the 2nd has double the cache which is a great benefit.

i don't like gigabyte anything.

FYI

If you get the FX - the socket 939 is probably a better buy than 940. Socket 939 has a lot more choices on boards, and they will be using s939 a lot more now.

plus the fx55 is out soon, if you leave it a while then u can either get the fx55 or at least the fx53 might drop a little in price as its no longer the best

gagabyte has the best quality boards Ive ever come accross, and great support. But they are expensive. Check out the Neo2 board (somehting like that) I think made by msi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom