I might have lost a whole hard drive, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicktheQuik

Baseband Member
Alright so I got a new 500gb hdd today. My computer could read it in Device Manager, but not in My Computer, but eventually I figured out how to access it. I've been having problems with my computer and wanted to re format, so I backed up all my files onto my new hdd, and re installed windows.

But now my computer can't read the hard drive again. And the only way I know how is to format it, which would delete all the files. So is there anyway I can get my computer to read the hard drive again without wiping out my files. Or just any ways to get the files off the hdd?

What OS are you using? If Windows then go to Disk Management; it should be there. You will probably have to give it a drive letter.

Windows XP. It's in Disk Management but it says it's "dynamic" or something. And the only way I can access it (as far as I know at least) is to format the drive, which would get rid of the data from my other re formatted hdd.

I think I found one solution. I use to use XP Pro, but now I'm using XP Home, and apparently Home can't read Dynamic hard drives, which for some reason is what mine is (I don't know if I made it that way or what). So if I re format again but with Pro, I guess I should be able to get to the hdd.

I'm hoping there's an easier/quicker solution then that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom