Upgrading my Homebuilt Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliades

Beta member
This christmas my parents are giving me a choice of what they are going to buy me for my computer. I was curious what part I should upgrade in order to give the biggest performance boost? And whatever it is, what should I upgrade it to for the least amount of money?

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Graphics Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

I was thinking either another 9800 GT to SLI bridge to me other 9800 GT or a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz processor. RAM is basically covered at 8gigs, which already seems like overkill.

gpu is definitely the weak spot. We need budget and specs on your current power supply.

What games are you playing as well?

gpu is definitely the weak spot. We need budget and specs on your current power supply.

What games are you playing as well?

It's hard to say what the budget would be. I'm honestly not sure what my parents are willing to pay so it might be best to give me various options? Anyway.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

That is my power supply.

I figured shoot for the stars. If mom and dad say no then give him lower priced options. :)

A 9600gt is not bad so if you are going to upgrade...

How good would be a couple SLI bridged 9600s? I THINK they already got me that, anyway, so it might be too late anyway. :p

And, I would LOVE the 5870 but I think that might be pushing it. I think my mom was thinking under $100 or so, which is sadly limiting.

My resolution is 1680 x 1050. And I play basically all games, although TF2 is the one I play the most. Going to get Assassin's Creed 2 and Mass Effect 2 when they come out.

what mb and psu do you have? a second 9600gt in sli would not be bad if she already got it. If not, save the cash as the 5770 is the least you would want to go with.

what mb and psu do you have? a second 9600gt in sli would not be bad if she already got it. If not, save the cash as the 5770 is the least you would want to go with.

Yeah, got the second graphics card. I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the MB is not SLI "certified" so it doesn't work. Probably going to return the 9600, sell my other 9600 and I also have an older 8800 and buy the 5770. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom