loose wire???

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
A co-worker of mine asked me if I could take a look at her laptop. All I know about it at this point is that it is an HP, it has a picture of a wave on the case.
The problem is that when she turns it on, all the lights come on as it normally would, but the screen doesn't. The only time the screen works is when it is open less than 2 inches (probably something like a 20-25 deg. angle).
She is going to bring it to work sometime in the near future, and I figured maybe somebody else has come across something like this, and could give me some thoughts.
My guess is a loose cable or something of the sort, but I haven't had much experience with laptops so I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

the sensor that controls when it open and closed might be out of whack. Is it still under warranty?
Agreed. There is a sensor / cable that controls when the computer turns on the screen when opening. Easiest and cheapest fix would be to send it in if it is still under warranty.

I don't believe it is under warranty. I will ask her when I see her, but I'm rather certain she would have tried to do that before asking me.

What would you suggest as an easy fix for that? I don't thinks she would mind if the screen was always on while the laptop was on if that would be the easiest route.

Easiest fix would be to purchase another laptop or purchase a monitor and connect the laptop through that.

There is no easy way to fix laptop hardware unless it is the hard drive or RAM. All other components require the dismantling of the plastic frame and about two dozen screws.

Very much so. It'd be cheaper even to send it back to the manufacturer, but pay a fee for repairing it. Cheaper than buying a new one. Or do the monitor as Lexluethar said.

well I talked to her today and she has no clue what the warranty status of it is, but I asked her how long she has had the laptop and she said under a year, so I told her to find out if it is under warranty or not, and if so then to do that.

Just for my personal knowledge, if I were to attempt a fix on something like that, what would be involved in fixing the sensor? I have taken 2 laptops completely apart (one of them being the ibook g4 i'm typing on now) so I am familiar with the dismantling of them. (Although the reason that the hp laptop i took apart probably didn't work when i put it back together was the sensor that i didn't know about. oops)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom