Build or Buy a new computer for photoshop work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogle Photo

Beta member
I need your help. My current desktop is two years old, and maxed out. I bought an HP but then saw its shortcomings, and have added a new NEC photo display (PW221), and added a new video card, hard drives, maxed out memory at 4GB, new gigabit card, and a blu ray burner (LG). It runs pretty well, but I am looking to make it my new server computer (I have a JBOD hooked to my older dell right now) and get a computer to last me a while yet work well with Photoshop CS4, Lightroom 2, Expressions Media 2 and Word, and all of the programs and windows I have open at one time.

As noted above, I am pretty adventureous when it comes to opening the case and prying in there with a screw driver. I have never built a computer from parts, but have upgraded most of the ones I have.

Looking to have a computer robust enought to deal with the newer programs.

I am looking at getting an i7 processor, not sure which one, and perhaps a solid state drive to host the operating system and programs, and use hard drives for the folders and files. Just a thought.

Not sure about which power supply, video card, card reader, etc. I would need to put a gigabit card in it, and would like both many usb and firewire ports.

I do not do gaming, and need a video card to work best with my display and photoshop. I use an older flat panel as a second screen for some programs.

I looked at Dell, and they can configure some of the computers, but not sure all that I am getting. Thought I might try my hand at building a computer. I have purchased most of my upgrade componets from New Egg, and would probably do the same.

Would like room for extra internal hard drives, possibly a SSD, card reader, maybe a DVD burner and swap in my Blu Ray burner, the ability to run a cool box, and noise is not the biggest of concerns. Can go with a larger case. Not sure if I would think about water cooling it, probably just air cool, several fans, and would probably not overclock it (as I really do not understand that concept - is that more for gaming?)

Looking to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 if possible. If that is not a realistic budget, please tell me. I generally have maxed out RAM, but not sure with the i7 and motherboards what I need to run 64 bit comfortably.

Am I out of my mind to think to do this?

Any help is appreciated greatly, including part identification so I can look it up.

Bill

I would not go with the p6t se. I would either go with the p6t, p6t deluxe V2 or a evga x58 board.

For ram the i7 runs triple channel so you would want either 3x2gb for 6gb or 6x2gb for 12gb. I do some serious CS4 and LR2.1 and never use more than 4.5gb so you should be fine with 6gb.

video card. If you are not gaming the 5870 is too much card for you (A great card though). Having a good gpu helps with photoshop, look for something in the ati 4870, 5770 or gtx260 range to save some cash yet still have ample power. http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

Thanks for the suggestions. I am wondering if I would lose that much flexibility and performance if I went with either the i7 860 processor and say the ASUS sabertooth 55i LGA p55 motherboard, and then get 8gb 4x2gb of RAM, and a XFX or Sapphire 5770 graphics card. Was looking at the Coolermaster COSMOS case RC-1000, and the corsair 750TX power supply. Trying to keep costs down, yet not shoot myself in the foot for future use or expansion. Again, it is only for photoshop and related programs, not games.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom