Intel: NVIDIA Ion is Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Intel: NVIDIA Ion is Overkill

During an interview with LAPTOP Magazine, the director of netbook marketing at Intel said that the ION is overkill and overpriced. Whether or not you agree with his assessment, one thing he said is an absolute fact, it is the market that will decide the winning platform.

To run multimedia you don't need a huge graphics chip. And that's what those third-party decoder solutions will show in the marketplace. There are much more innovative ways to get multimedia capabilities that will continue to provide lower power and longer battery life. In terms of usages, netbooks are not meant for gaming. You can run Internet games fine today with the existing solutions. We believe (Ion) adds unnecessary additional cost and the other trade-offs make it less desirable. Our customers have the option to design netbooks how they want to but ultimately the market is going to decide.

^ i've seen alot of low end notebooks/ nicer netbooks that have a 1366x768 screen, which is good for 720p.

Indeed, mine is 1366x768 and I despise the Intel GMA 500 it has - even lags on Diablo II! And of course playing 720p is out of the question. ION would be perfect.

^ i've seen alot of low end notebooks/ nicer netbooks that have a 1366x768 screen, which is good for 720p.

Stil now that Pine Trail is out there is zero reason to get an Ion based system. Either go with Atom w/ on die graphics for maximum battery life or get a upcoming Arrandale based laptop for superior cpu and gpu performance and higher (but still relatively low) power usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom