Upgrading Options and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPROTechman

In Runtime
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, was invited over to these forums by Kmote :)

My specs are as follows:

Asus M2n Sli Deluxe AM2+
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3ghz
Corsair XMS2 2gb (2x1gb sticks) 667mhz Pc 5400 ( Should've got 800mhz but at the time didn't have a clue :))
Seagate Barracuda 250gb HDD
BFG Nvidia 8800gts 320mb PCI-E
Xclio Windtunnel Extreme V2 ( MASSIVE - Changing over to a mid tower case probably x-blade some suggestions would be nice)
Thermaltake 450W Psu, Modular - Really neat.

Logitech G15 gaming keyboard and G5 mouse.

Use this pc for gaming, some video rendering and general office applications.

I heard you can put phenom II's in my board but I'm not sure.

my Pc's actually going off for RMA soon cause either my CPU or RAM is dead. Getting this sorted soon.

I wanna build a complete new system but gonna wait til end of next year, so just want an upgrade to get me through the year

to play games such as crysis and MW2. Really wanna go quad core.

I also need a new CPU cooler, was looking at the zalman ones any good?

Thanks - Josh

Hmm... hard one =D Probably under £300 Don't wanna spend over that for an upgrade

It's also my 18th birthday in may so I'll be getting around £800 for that towards a new system o.0

it doesnt look like your mobo officially supports phenom ii's, only the phenom cpus
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

so the phenom x4 9950 would be your best bet, but i looked at like, 8 e-tailors and could not find any. not that they were not in stock, they just didnt have it listed,

so i managed to find the phenom x4 9850, which your mobo also supports.
AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB Cache OEM Processor - Ebuyer

you could also up your ram to 4gigs; another 2x1gb kit
Crucial 2GB kit (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty - Ebuyer

this is a good cooler at a good price
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler - Ebuyer

and you could upgrade your gfx card to this one, which you could also move to your next build.
PowerColor HD 5770 Play Edition 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer
but idk if your psu would handle it; minimum 450w psu recommended.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...s/ati-radeon-hd-5770-system-requirements.aspx

can you post the psu model?

those ^ 4 upgrade would total £241 inc.vat.

it doesnt look like your mobo officially supports phenom ii's, only the phenom cpus
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

so the phenom x4 9950 would be your best bet, but i looked at like, 8 e-tailors and could not find any. not that they were not in stock, they just didnt have it listed,

so i managed to find the phenom x4 9850, which your mobo also supports.
AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB Cache OEM Processor - Ebuyer

you could also up your ram to 4gigs; another 2x1gb kit
Crucial 2GB kit (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty - Ebuyer

Thermaltake TR2 RX 450W Modular Power Supply : W0146 |Specialtech.co.uk Thats my psu.

That looks quite nice,
this is a good cooler at a good price
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler - Ebuyer

and you could upgrade your gfx card to this one, which you could also move to your next build.
PowerColor HD 5770 Play Edition 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer
but idk if your psu would handle it; minimum 450w psu recommended.
ATI Radeon? HD 5770 System Requirements

can you post the psu model?

those ^ 4 upgrade would total £241 inc.vat.

Thermaltake TR2 RX 450W Modular Power Supply : W0146 |Specialtech.co.uk

thats my psu

That seems like a nice upgrade, quite fairly priced too, The processor only had 2mb cache but i guess it'd have alot more performance over my dual core with 1mb cache.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my PSU, just another thought, what about if i bought a 2nd hand 8800gts and sli'd them? would that be better?

Also, would i just be better buying a 2x2gb kit so their identical modules or wouldn't that matter? Thanks!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142403/show_product_reviews

you can get a 2x2gig kit of ram instead if you want, but just adding another 2gigs should work, doesnt really matter which option you choose.

for the gfx card, i guess it somewhat depends on how cheap you can get another 8800gts for, but know that youll have to make sure to have good cooling in your rig, and youll definitely need to get a better psu.

BTW: I'm going to be video editing and gaming alot, i think my card is still good and does well.. it's just my CPU that seems to bottleneck me and possibly my lack of ram

I think you just answered your own question

get new CPU, more RAM
looks like your motherboard can support phenom 2 cpus with a BIOs update (both AM2+ and AM3 (C2 revision))
but if you want new DDR3 RAM, you need new mobo too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom