Long story, please read and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imranh101

Beta member
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...LNX-1R&cat=SYS

Can anyone tell me what kind of processor that exactly is? I can't find out, there are like 4/5 different P4 3.2 GHz.

See, my computer is old and can't be upgraded to dual core.
So, I was wondering if I nab this computer, could I put in my PC's ram, vid card, 2 hard drives into the new computer.
I'd only be paying $100...
And don't tell me to save up 400$ and buy a computer. Just bare with me, please, and understand Im only 15 and my parents wont let me get a job.
This will be coming out of christmas money.
SO, here's the deal exactly.
My computer has an 8400 GS 512 card, which I could put in the new pc.
It has 1 1/2 ram, i could put 1 gb into the new pc (as it only has one free slot)
I could put both / maybe leave my smaller hard drive in old pc (so it would be useable)
put my DVD Burner in new one, put the dvd reader/cd writed into old
switch the power supplies

So in the end it would be :
New PC : P4 3.2 GHz, 8400 GS geforce 512mb, 1.5 gb ram, 500 watt power supply, cd/dvd writer

old pc would be:
AMD Sempron 3000+ (2 ghz), cd writer/dvd reader
1/2 gb ram, built in gfx chip

Right now, my PC is : AMD Sempron 3000 + (2 GHz), 8400 GS Geforce 512 mb, 1.5 gb ram, 500 watt psu, and cd/dvd writer.

Now, there is one main reason to upgrade (besides a slight CPU upgrade):
My current PCU is NOT upgradable to DUAL CORE
So,
IN THE END
MY QUESTION IS

Will that computer be able to handle a DUAL CORE, at least 2 GHZ.

Because, I WOULD DO THIS :
Upgrade core!

I would have :
For example... (This processor is about $40, assuming its compatible)
Celeron DUAL CORE 2.2 GHZ, (huuuuge upgrade over my 2 ghz sempron)
8400 GS 512 (Can't be upgraded further)
1.5gb ram (maybe would upgrade to 2 gb later, about 50$)

So it would in the end be (Again, assuming that these things are compatible)
$200 for :
Celeron Dual Core 2.2 ghz
8400 GS 512 GeForce
2 gb ram
Windows XP / 7 / Ubuntu triple boot

Would you say, forgetting that I'm really upgrading, that it is worth $200 for that?

Just pretend its a new computer. Would it be worth $200?

I know that was a f*** load of reading, and 99% of you wont read it all, and probably I wont get many if any replies, but if you have the good heart to read it all and be nice and not tell me to save a million dollars for a bargain gaming PC, i will be ever so grateful....

Thanks....

Drop some feedback on what you think.

Your link is broken.

We need some additional information from you. What is the make & model of your current computer? If it is not a pre-built, what is your motherboard? Is your 8500 a PCI, AGP, or PCI-E card, full height or low profile?

The only systems I saw on geeks.com for around $100 were SFF (small form factor) rigs. These work, but your card would have to be a low profile card to fit. Also, the kind of RAM must be the same between systems for you to swap it out (DDR & DDR, DDR2 & DDR2).

A Celeron and a Sempron have a lot in common. Both are gimped chips that have had half of their cache removed. Dual core does help, but a 2.2GHz Celly would not be a lot faster than a 3000+ if it is aP4. It could run two processes faster due to the other core, but GHz do not translate between AMD and Intel. AMD used the number naming scheme to help people see what their chips were comparable to at the time. A Sempron 3000+ is equal to or faster than a 3.0 Celeron, even though it is only a 2.0GHz chip. ;) Once you begin moving to different generations that comparison breaks down. So, if your Sempron is a socket A or socket 754, it would make a difference.

With $200, you could do this...

Intel Celeron E3200 Wolfdale 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E3200 - Retail
&
BIOSTAR G31-M7G DVI LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$100 w/free shipping on CPU

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT - Desktop Memory
$82

Even better than that even though I love the celerons:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785GE AM2+/AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CT25664AA800 - Desktop Memory
37.99 with free shipping. (it may be crucial and not nearly as recognized as gskill but it gets the job done)>

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
76.99 also with free shipping all that together would be 184.99 plus 7.59 s/h

Much better deal there plus you will be able to handle more tasks than a celeron wolf dale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom