No monitor signal with 5870

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
So, about 3 weeks ago I got a PowerColor HD5870. Installed it, hooked up the 2x6 pin PCI-e, fired her up. No monitor signal. Turned it off, took it out, put it back, no monitor signal. Tried both DVI ports, nothing. Put old card back in, everything works.

So I figured it's DOA. Sent it back to Newegg. Yesterday I got refunded and overnighted an XFX HD5870. Installed it, blah blah, no monitor signal. Kay, wtf? Either I'm lucky enough to get two DOA in a row, or something isn't right here.

What the eff.

Also, once I put my old card back in and start up, it says that my overclocking has failed. I'm not sure what that's all about as my overclock has been stable for like a year. It did this on my first 5870 too, so I figured maybe my overclock was screwing me and reset CMOS...but that didn't help any.

Suggestions please. I'm getting very irritated.

EDIT:
Specs: AMD x2 4800+
MSI K9A Platinum
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610

I would usual say 'it could be that your PSU is underpowered', but with a PC P&C 610w that just can't be the problem...

I know you have already tryed it, but sometimes re-seating it really firmly can work wonders. I've had some very strange problems in the past, from no signal to only using 1x express lane, and they have been fixed by a much more firm approach, lol. Sometimes it takes alot of force.

The "overclocking failing" doesn't have anything to do with your overclock actually failing, it's an error that sometimes pops up even on factory computers.

It sounds like some stray setting somewhere hates you. I don't know that board very well though, so I can't be of more help...otherwise it does sound like a power issue, even though your PSU should handle it fine.

I know it's a pain, but what you can try to do is unplug everything except the bare essentials and try the card, but it probably won't get you far.

I did try unplugging everything. I even tried using the molex to PCIe adapter things, on a whim.

I've reseated the card several times and it is indeed firmly seated. I tried alternating sticks of RAM. Tried resetting CMOS.

I tried to test it in my dad's PC but...it doesn't fit in his case! Frigin huge card...

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a new cpu+mobo for christmas. So, if it doesn't work then, I guess I'll be sending back ANOTHER doa card. So far these 5870's are really somethin...

So, about 3 weeks ago I got a PowerColor HD5870. Installed it, hooked up the 2x6 pin PCI-e, fired her up. No monitor signal. Turned it off, took it out, put it back, no monitor signal. Tried both DVI ports, nothing. Put old card back in, everything works.

So I figured it's DOA. Sent it back to Newegg. Yesterday I got refunded and overnighted an XFX HD5870. Installed it, blah blah, no monitor signal. Kay, wtf? Either I'm lucky enough to get two DOA in a row, or something isn't right here.

What the eff.

Also, once I put my old card back in and start up, it says that my overclocking has failed. I'm not sure what that's all about as my overclock has been stable for like a year. It did this on my first 5870 too, so I figured maybe my overclock was screwing me and reset CMOS...but that didn't help any.

Suggestions please. I'm getting very irritated.

EDIT:
Specs: AMD x2 4800+
MSI K9A Platinum
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610

After googling, this post popped up... I know this post is a few months old, but I just bought the same grafix card, and I have the very same problem.

So I was wondering if you found a solution to your problem? (since your specs says that you still have the same card) :)

Hope to hear from you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom