CCNA VS COMPTIA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCNA is very cisco-network-configuration centred, and extremely difficult. It's what you should do if you're a network installation/configuration/planner guy.

The comptia A+ is a much simpler test and focuses more on general troubleshooting, e.g. everyday software troubleshooting pc hardware repair and simple networking and security practices.

Exactly what SOUL said. A+ and Net+ are the most basic certifications you can get. While the CCNA is one of the most difficult ones you can get. Compare it to like getting your high school diploma compared to your masters, both are useful but you would never compare the two.

-A+ is geared towards hardware and troubleshooting hardware on computers. Very basic stuff.
-Net+ is general networking. Troubleshooting, setting up, knowing how packets route and the differences in the networking technologies like wirless, wired, etc. Very basic stuff.
-CCNA is a cisco network certification that is geared towards just cisco products and networking. Very advanced stuff.

CCNA will be looked at much higher than any CompTIA exam. But a CCNA will not help you with gettign a job fixing desktops - it is a networking certifications.

I would rather get into networking.. Should I get A+ and network certs first then get a ccna?

i would get them regardless.

If you dont have any job experience, they will get you in the door. (and some companies do require them)

I have the following:

a+
net+
mcse (2003)

and when i finish my last class i will test for my dfca (Digital Forensic Certified Associate)

MCSE is the highest certification that Microsoft offers. It is a compilation of half a dozen exams or so. MCSE covers either server 2000 or server 2003. Microsoft came out with a new exam title for this called MCITP (Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional) that is meant to phase out the MSCE. The MCITP requires a few less exams but is more specialized because there are multiple diciplines that you can get an MCITP in. It still requires 4 to 6 exams depending on the dicipline you go, but it is meant to take the place of the MCSE and be more specialized.

The MCSE pretty much covers all aspects of server 2000 or server 2003 including development, deployment and maintenence. Opposed to the MCITP which has specialities like one for development, one for administration, etc.

Currently i'm working on my MCITP for server 2008 and have two more exams to take for it. I also have my A+ and MCP in Vista (going to get 7's next year).

I think you should still get the A+ because as another poster put, it is required for a lot of jobs. Get the A+, once you've passed that move on to the next. YOu have to take this one exam at a time. Depending on what you like and where life takes you should dictate where you go after that.

CompTIA Certifications

In the CompTIA Certifications section. These would be geared torwards a small computer shop section so you can deal with PC's, prints, scanners, RFID devices and such.

CompTIA A+
For entry-level IT technicians, the CompTIA A+ exam covers preventative maintenance, basic networking, installation, troubleshooting, communication and professionalism.

CompTIA PDI+
For entry-level printer and document-imaging technicians, the CompTIA PDI+ exam covers basic electromechanical components and tools, print engine and scan processes, color theory and networking.

CompTIA RFID+
For RFID professionals, the CompTIA RFID+ exam covers installation, maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of RFID products.

CompTIA CDIA+
For document imaging solutions sellers, the CompTIA CDIA+ exam covers planning, designing and specifying a document imaging management system.

CEA-CompTIA DHTI+
For experienced home technology professionals, the CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ certification covers configuring, integrating, maintaining and troubleshooting electronic and digital home systems.

If you are looking to go into a Networking & Server environment.

CompTIA Network+
For networking professionals, the CompTIA Network+ exam covers managing, maintaining, troubleshooting, operating and configuring basic network infrastructure.

CompTIA Convergence+
For experienced convergence professionals, the CompTIA Convergence+ exam covers designing, implementing and managing voice and data networks.

CompTIA Server+
For experienced IT professionals, the CompTIA Server+ exam covers areas such as RAID, SCSI, managing multiple CPUs and disaster recovery.

A good Linux certification that can help you in any type of environment.

CompTIA Linux+
For experienced Linux professionals, the CompTIA Linux+ exam covers user administration, file permissions, software configurations and the fundamental management of Linux systems.

If you are looking to work in a Security profession

CompTIA Security+
For experienced security professionals, the CompTIA Security+ exam covers system security, network infrastructure, cryptography, assessments and audits.

Certification if you plan on becoming an instructor.

CompTIA CTT+
For technical instructors, the CompTIA CTT+ exam covers classroom preparation, presentation, communication, facilitation and evaluation in both traditional classroom and virtual classroom environments.

This Certification is always good to have no matter where you like to work.

CompTIA Project+
For project managers, the CompTIA Project+ certification covers the entire process of project management, including initiation, planning, execution, acceptance, support and closure.

I self-trained and quizzed-out in CompTIA A+ and Net+.
Now I'm working on Security+.
CompTIA is more of a starter, foot-in-the-door type of certification. It may be all you need, depending on what types of jobs you're looking for. Some big, bureaucratic companies "require" certifications and degrees. Most seem only to care about experience and ability to get the job done, and your personality (easy to get along with).
Over the years, I've seen techies overlook the fact that getting a job, keeping it, and getting paid well have as much to do with your ability to sell yourself as it does your tech abilities.
I'm taking corporate classes in communication, understanding, management, etc. Even though I'm mostly an end-user support guy.
I think communication-skills would look good for any techie to have on a resume, if you want to stand out from the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom