AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

What the heck is wrong with my settings here?? It's ran LINX before, but NOW it won't stay alive long enough to finish it on 4 threads. Loads @ 41*c all on water. this is getting really irritating.. I think it's the MoBo.. GA-MA790GP-DS4H, unless I'm REALLY missing something here..

3.6g stable enough for LINX.. That is ******g embarrassing :umm: ... I can get that clock on air with this thing..

HT Link width - AUTO (8 or 16 bit)
HT @ 800mhz -It refuses to boot at any other speed.
Core clock @ 18.5 (for 3.707g.. dropped to 18x for 3.6g for LINx)
CPU Host Clock Control @ 200mhz
VGA Clock Control @ DISABLED
Vcore @ 1.550v
PCIE MULT @ 102
NB Mult @ 13x
CPU NB VID Control @ +1.25v
NB Volt @ 1.425
RAM @ 665mhz @ 6-6-6-18 2T @ 2.1v -Won't boot on 1T..
SB V @ auto
Sideport V @ Auto

-=EDIT=-

Found a thread on OC Forums where someone hit 4.1g on AIR @ 1.7VCore with my exact board and CPU.. hit 5 gigs or something on LN2. Someone else responded saying that they're having a hard time hitting 4g on water, again with my exact board and CPU.. I may have to switch boards.. It's looking more and more like that 790GX chipset won't do 4.0g without being kicked into sub zero temps. I guess it isn't me..

He used a 250FSB and 10x MULT for the clock.. amongst other settings.

Ahh... ^ I thought I've read that 1.4 NB is ok... Unless it was 1.3v.... The heatsinks aren't even warm. -Thought about replacing the paste, but I don't feel like taking the board out.

It may have been some other reason why it didn't boot. I tried completely different settings and I just got post Errors. 250FSB and 15.5CPU Mult @ 1.6vcore, 2.0HT, NB @ 10x for a 4g run.. That just gave me a post error.

I've had my NB to 1.5v, if I didn't have it that high I couldn't hit some of my higher NB frequencies. Some people say it doesn't need to be that high, but I say it depends on your ambient temps and your board. I only push that much voltage through there when EVERYTHING is cold around me.

^ It's pretty cool here in the basement.. I'd say 60* even.. maybe 55*f, cold enough for my hands to get cold while I'm gaming.. But I smoke too, so it's prolly bad circulation. :lol: This board is fine around the 20% mark, but anything over that it gets buggy.

Here's a link to the new board I'm lookin at... USB3/SATA3 ports... Future-proof.. :D Can I plug my PII 940 into an AM3 Slot?? I know there is 1 pin difference between an AM2 and AM3 chip.. I'm gettin a little behind on the new stuff.. I had it for a while, but getting over-run. DDR3 = DDR3, AM3 chips have a DDR3 RAM controller IIRC, and an AM2 chip will not work with DDR3 RAM... Correct?? DDR2 RAM will not fit into DDR3 DIMM slots, right?
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Nope, AM2 won't fit in AM3, just the other way around. Tom's did something where they removed the obstructing pins and it wouldn't work, but it would still work in an AM2+ board, meaning there's something else besides pins.

And no, DDR2 will not fit in DDR3. Nor will DDR3 work with AM2.

I've had my NB to 1.5v, if I didn't have it that high I couldn't hit some of my higher NB frequencies. Some people say it doesn't need to be that high, but I say it depends on your ambient temps and your board. I only push that much voltage through there when EVERYTHING is cold around me.

when i had the NB volt to 1.3 back in June playing Crysis, it crashed my PC n i was no longer stable at 3.7GHz. Got an error 0x00000124. Kind a still comes up. I might have to send in my mobo again n this time actually get it fixed, but i first have to consult with them if i have to.

Kinda stable.. but crashed RIGHT when I was posting my CPUz Validator bar in my sig.. Ideas?? I know the core voltage is a bit high, but it still runs pretty cool.. I'll drop the voltage back down next time I'm on it.

66165972.jpg

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945
Stepping: RB-C2
VID: 1.2750v
Final Clock: 3961.96 MHz (283 * 14)
Final Vcore: 1.375

Power supply: LC-Power 550W
MotherBoard: Asus M4A79XTD-EVO
RAM: Mushkin Redline DDR3 2x2GB 1600MHZ
Timmings: 7-7-7-18 1T
RAM to FSB: 3:10