i7 vs. Normal Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i too have upgraded from a 6600 quad core to an i7 and i have to say that the multi-tasking capabilities are outstanding, ive overclocked it to 4ghz and it runs smooth @ the moment, (yes i have disabled turbo mode) i would definately spend a little more money on the correct ram for the chip though as this is important! i have found corsair to be the best DDR3 triple channel ram for the i7 but thats just my opinion!!

Sorry. I shouldn't have said that triple channel came from the on-die memory controller because it was just a technology that came about at the same time but not dependent on that. The i5 runs dual channel and has no QPI or hyper-threading, but still has an on-die memory controller.

Credit where credit is due, AMD have had an on-die memory controller since 939.

Credit where credit is due, AMD have had an on-die memory controller since 939.

Ok...so what exactly is it about the i7 that makes it so much better than pretty much every other quad out there? Because people are saying that even at a stock speed of 2.66 GHz, the 920 is better than the phenom II x4 965 at stock speed. I thought the on die memory controller had some significance. Is it really just the hyperthreading?

So what is the advantage of i5 over other quad cores?
Others in the same price range have higher clockspeeds. So if i5 doesn't have hyper threading, whats so greta about it?

Guys, seriously...

I say this alot, you want to know something? google i7 architecture, then google, phenom II x4 architecture.

Google or wikipedia or bing anything you don't know before asking here...

You could probably google "why is i7 better than phenom II"

After reading all the stuff you can google/bing, you should have your answer.

We don't know everything, and search engines are your friend.

You're right Ste, BUT this is Tech-Forums after all, and these discussions help set the "techy" mood around here. Gives people something to talk about.

I guess if they REALLY wanted to know they could search google, but they want to be able to discuss and feel like geeks. Why would you deprive them of that Ste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom